New build

Started by Turbostang72, April 01, 2021, 01:21:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Turbostang72

Hi everyone new to the site and the saltwater game.
Acquired a few older Penns that I'm rebuilding.  I picked up 2. 114h's post frame with the maroon sides and a 9500ss spinning.

Only going to build one of the senators now. Here's my list let me know what you guys think.

7+1 drag pack
Pro sleeve gear with custom star
Tiburon frame red.
Black aluminum spool
Still looking for a handle.
**possible Cortez aluminum side plates **
Cals drag grease.

As for the spinner I know wrong section but just getting the power drag cap and updated drag conversion. With a gold handle to match the. Spool.

Well thanks for the add to this great site and thanks in advance for all the great information.

RowdyW

Hello Ts72, for lack of a real name. Try the Welcome section to tell us a little about yourself and the type of fishing you do. As far as modifications to your 114h's a ss gear sleeve and dog might be a good idea but other mods are not necessary normally on a 114h unless you are equipped to go after real monsters. Does you reel have 5 CF washers or 3 asbestos washers. The 5 washer CF drags are enough to almost drag you over the railing. Going to need a lot more information on what & how it's going to be used & with what equipment or are you wanting to build it just to make a tough reel?      Rudy

Wompus Cat

Welcome Turbostang72  from Central Texas .
I just acquired a Tiburon (Red FRAME and Red Spool ) to build a winch of a Reel so post some pix of your build as you go .I have not decided on which,what , or where on all the guts just yet .
If a Grass Hopper Carried a Shotgun then the Birds wouldn't MESS with Him

Wompus Cat

Well I just threw mine together to see what it would look like with Stock side plates .
Needed some Tweaking to get the Spool to turn freely as the weld on Clicker gear seems to rub on the Bearing Housing (just took a little  bit of File work ) and be sure to run a Thread Chaser if not a Tap through the Screw Holes .
Got some new Drags and a Handle coming from SMOOOOOTH DRAGS ,Thanks Dawn, and thanks to Randy Pauly for the Frame and Spool Kit

It sounds crappy when returning from free spool as the Plastic echos in a cheapish hollow sound so will have to get some better ones like I have on my 113's .
This is the wide frame version and is  pretty awesome compared to a 920

If a Grass Hopper Carried a Shotgun then the Birds wouldn't MESS with Him

Turbostang72

Looking great. Just got mine together over the weekend

PacRat

Turostang,
I think you might need to flip your drag star over. I don't have this one but it looks like it will contact your handle and will scar the anodizing.

-Mike

Turbostang72

Quote from: PacRat on June 20, 2021, 08:46:37 PM
Turostang,
I think you might need to flip your drag star over. I don't have this one but it looks like it will contact your handle and will scar the anodizing.

-Mike

I was just looking at that. I also think I forgot too add the 18a washer. The collar doesn't stick out far enough to lock down the drag

Gfish

Nice!
You kept the Penn side-plates. I see 2- ss dogs on your invoice, did you double dog it?
Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!

JasonGotaProblem

Do consider a 16 tooth double sprung dog AR kit for the 9500ss when you get to it. Big improvement.
Any machine is a smoke machine if you use it wrong enough.

PacRat

Jason,
Are 9500ss double-dog kits still available. I would like to get my hands on some.

-Mike

Turbostang72

Quote from: Gfish on June 21, 2021, 02:49:19 PM
Nice!
You kept the Penn side-plates. I see 2- ss dogs on your invoice, did you double dog it?

Not sure why it was like that I only ordered one. That's my next project and making a adjustable mag system.

Turbostang72

Quote from: JasonGotaPenn on June 21, 2021, 03:09:41 PM
Do consider a 16 tooth double sprung dog AR kit for the 9500ss when you get to it. Big improvement.

Awsome thanks. Any links to them?