Okuma Metaloid 5s

Started by tarpon one, March 27, 2021, 12:37:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tarpon one

I recently purchased a new Metaloid 5s and I'm reasonably impressed with the reel, especially considering the cost, with the exception of the drag curve. IMO not really much of a curve, more like an on / off switch. Is there anything I can do to obtain greater adjustment of the drag? I know the Metaloid has been replaced by the Cavalla and I'm wondering if the drag cam from the Cavalla can be installed for greater adjustment. Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

tarpon one

I finally spoke with tech support at Okuma today and I learned more about the issue with the drag system on my Metaloid. Apparently early Metaloids were produced with West Coast anglers in mind. What I was told is the drag was designed with a very steep drag curve so anglers could go from virtually no drag to full "strike" drag in one movement of the lever. I was told that Okuma has designed and can provide a revised drag cam that will give infinitely greater adjustment. I think the cost of the cam is approximately $22. but will be provided under warranty. Hopefully problem solved.

alantani

i was working on one an hour ago and ground down the cam with a dremel and a sanding wheel.  i cut down too far.  i still need to see what the drag profile looks like.  it might be ok.  i'm waiting to see what topshot he wants on it and i will go from there. 
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

tarpon one

New drag cam arrived today. Installation took 60 seconds and the transformation is like having a different reel.
Thanks Okuma.

MarkT

Most lever drags seem to go from free to strike in 1/4 inch.  I'd prefer them to be linear so that if I'm half way to strike I have half of the strike drag.  Just put a detent at strike to keep you from going beyond it with pushing a button.  Yeah Penn and Daiwa, I'm talking to you!
When I was your age Pluto was a planet!