Need Induron IDX400A pinion

Started by Lunker Larry, April 01, 2021, 08:21:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lunker Larry

Working on an older Okuma Induron IDX400a and require the right vintage pinion. I ordered pinions under part numbers 47020045 and 47020065 and both were for a spool with pins and not the beveled pinion key on the shaft. My parts depot here said the older version is not available. I just sent an email to Okuma USA service centre to ask if they would happen to have one in their repair centre. Not holding out much luck but you never know.
Doe's anyone have access to older parts for this reel? Has anyone any info if you can swap spools with a current model to match the new pinion?
The first picture is the part I need with the rounded end to the pinion. The second shows what I have been sent. The correct one is on the left and the replacement on the right.
As always, your time and help is most appreciated.

Thanks all.
Larry
You know that moment when your steak is on the grill and you can already feel your mouth watering.
Do vegans feel the same when mowing the lawn?

alantani

if okuma usa has it but cannot ship to canada, then have them ship to me and i will ship to you. 
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Jimmer

You might try Tuna's reel troubles in Michigan, they have a lot of Okuma stock - Jimmer
What - me worry?   A.E.Neumann

Lunker Larry

Thanks Alan. Appreciate the offer.
Jimmer. I checked Tuna Troubles. Thought I got lucky but he only had a lefty that looked like it would work.
Trying to identify compatible reels for either a pinion or even a spool that would work on the new pinion but so far the internet is a wasteland for info.
You know that moment when your steak is on the grill and you can already feel your mouth watering.

oldmanjoe

???    Question can you use the new style pinion in place of the old design ?  If all else is the same just the extra cuts.

Grandpa`s words of wisdom......Joey that thing between your shoulders is not a hat rack.....    use it.....
A mind is like a parachute, it only work`s  when it is open.......
The power of Observation   , It`s all about the Details ..
 Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.   Alto Mare

philaroman

Quote from: Lunker Larry on April 01, 2021, 10:47:57 PM
Thanks Alan. Appreciate the offer.
...but he only had a lefty that looked like it would work.

Big NO! for L/H pinion in R/H reel
looks same, but teeth cut other way
might ruin both gears, QUICKLY! if you try

Lunker Larry

Quote from: oldmanjoe on April 01, 2021, 11:22:06 PM
???    Question can you use the new style pinion in place of the old design ?  If all else is the same just the extra cuts.

No. One is made for engaging a pin on the spool shaft and the other is for the beveled spool. The cross cut pinions will not work.

Lunker Larry

Already heard back from Okuma. They politely told me that the item I am looking for is one that they do not have in stock nor do they see it coming back into stock as it is a discontinued generation on that model reel. I figured that but was hoping one might have been lying around their repair shop. Worked for me once with Daiwa.
Anyway, it was good of them to get back to me so quickly.

Porthos

I have an Okuma HG250. Vaguely recall that the HG 150, 250 and 400 were the same diameter but different widths. The Indurons had the same sizes, respectively, with an all gold-colored finish instead of blue/silver, but don't take any of this as gospel. Post a picture of the IDX400 side plate (with internal side facing up) next to a ruler, and I will compare it to the HG250's.

Can continue discussion once the empirical evidence is gathered.

Lunker Larry

Quote from: Porthos on April 03, 2021, 02:23:24 AM
I have an Okuma HG250. Vaguely recall that the HG 150, 250 and 400 were the same diameter but different widths. The Indurons had the same sizes, respectively, with an all gold-colored finish instead of blue/silver, but don't take any of this as gospel. Post a picture of the IDX400 side plate (with internal side facing up) next to a ruler, and I will compare it to the HG250's.

Thanks but those reels are also no longer supported. I compared a bunch of those schematics and nothing in common for pinion or spool.

Porthos

Quote from: Lunker Larry on April 03, 2021, 09:33:06 PM
Quote from: Porthos on April 03, 2021, 02:23:24 AM

Thanks but those reels are also no longer supported. I compared a bunch of those schematics and nothing in common for pinion or spool.

The exercise was to ID any other Okuma models can be donor reels for parts. Sometimes part numbers change just because it went on to a different reel family or if the materials changed (i.e., brass to stainless) but dimensionally nothing else is different.

Lunker Larry

Thanks Porthos. If it was my reel I would probably take the time to see if a donor reel would work but the owner isn't interested in doing the leg work.
The pinion isn't a total write off. I flattened some of the roundness starting in the pinion base and even with the drag cranked down it isn't jumping like it was before.
It is still fishable and if he uses his drag properly won't be an issue under normal use. He's happy with that.
So thanks to all who responded or tried to check things out for me. Pretty sad that we are getting to where we have the life of these reels cut short due a short time frame of support from the parent company. Starting to see more and more of it from drive shafts to handle nut caps.
On the up side, if anyone needs a newer Induron pinion I happen to have two you can have  :D
Take care and stay safe.
LL