Penn 720

Started by Scattergun2570, April 01, 2021, 11:31:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Scattergun2570

A friend of mine gave me it to try and figure what's up with it. It was making noise at different parts of the oscillation cycle..kinda rumbly .. interesting part of it is when I turned the reel parallel with the floor, the noise and rumble was greatly decreased. I then disassembled it,looking for anything obvious,but the gears appear to be in good shape...no chips or busted teeth. The one thing that I did find was what I assume was a shim in the area of the pinion bearing..it was mangled...here's a pic of the shim... just wondering if anyone has any ideas on what the noisy rumble may be. Thanks

PS... the shim does not seem to be in the schematic.

Wompus Cat

Looks like part of the Bearing and Bearing could also be the Noise.!

The cage that holds the lil Balls in place

If a Grass Hopper Carried a Shotgun then the Birds wouldn't MESS with Him

Scattergun2570

Quote from: Wompus Cat on April 02, 2021, 12:06:56 AM
Looks like part of the Bearing and Bearing could also be the Noise.!

The cage that holds the lil Balls in place

I spun the bearing on my tweezers like I do on every other bearing,,no noise at all coming from it..as far as the shim,it's a totally different color than the bearing,and it's size does not match any part of the bearing.

Wompus Cat

Now that I looked at that piece of shim ?
It may be someones attempt to makeshift a  shim of sorts out of aluminum foil or thin brass, Gum  wrapper or something to take out slack in the housing somewhere and as far as the bearing not making noise spinning on your Twezer ,sometimes under a load they will make noise and not just free spinning .
Look carefully for something rubbing along the housing when spinning the reel and or slack in the shaft endplay ?

Scattergun2570

Quote from: Wompus Cat on April 02, 2021, 03:23:22 AM
Now that I looked at that piece of shim ?
It may be someones attempt to makeshift a  shim of sorts out of aluminum foil or thin brass, Gum  wrapper or something to take out slack in the housing somewhere and as far as the bearing not making noise spinning on your Twezer ,sometimes under a load they will make noise and not just free spinning .
Look carefully for something rubbing along the housing when spinning the reel and or slack in the shaft endplay ?

I think I may be putting the pieces together now...I noticed the bail wire was out of round,so I figured it may have been stepped on or something,,so I was looking closely at the inside of the rotor,and it's fairly well scratched up..and the bottom of the spool as well..so I'm thinking the noisy rumbling is from contact..have a look..

Wompus Cat

A couple of  things come into play with this scenario .One is Too much lateral play in bearing to housing , or maybe a  Bent shaft.
Move the Spool back and forth and side to side to see if that is  allowing the spool to rub in a spot or two.
Also look closely at the distances between the spool and the housing to see if it is closer on one side or the other.
If so you Might be able to Tweak it a bit with the spool fully extended to move it away from the side.
Good you found the Rubbing .

Midway Tommy

I see this quite often. It usually happens when someone dropped the reel and the rotor or spool got bent, i.e. out of round. I have seldom seen it happen as a result of a worn bearing or bent shaft. You can make the rotor and/or spool round again so they don't rub, if that is the cause, but be careful as the rotor can crack easily.   
Love those open face spinning reels! (Especially ABU & ABU/Zebco Cardinals)

Tommy D (ORCA), NE

Favorite Activity? ............... In our boat fishing
RELAXING w/ MY BEST FRIEND (My wife Bonnie)

foakes

On any open-faced spinning reel — 9 times out of 10 — if there is an issue — it can generally be traced to something on the "outside" of the reel that became damaged or distorted by careless handling.

Crank handle, spool, spool shaft, bail, bail arm, rotor, etc. — basically, anything protruding that may have been tweaked.

And almost anything can be repositioned or adjusted to work properly.

Most problems can be diagnosed quickly by an examination for anything rubbing at a certain point of operation — then by removing a part or two to see if the noise or catch is gone — or still there.

Seldom do parts just "fail" on the insides of quality spinners — it almost always can be traced to a issue on the outer
part of the reel.

Best, Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

Wompus Cat

Fred and Tommy , You guys have been lucky . Everyone  I  ever had was a bent shaft or worse.

jurelometer

I had a 722 with this problem.  Turned out that that the rotor spacer (key 19a) went missing.   The 720   schematic that I looked at does  not show a rotor spacer, but does show a thrust washer (key 20a), which may have something to do with that mangled brass part that you found on the shaft.  There has to be a thrust washer or similar, so that nut that holds the rotor in place has something to push against.

If you reassemble the shaft and rotor assembly and the rotors  is not locked  solid without any wiggle on the shaft , the fix imight be as simple as replacing the thrust washer.

At any rate, it is always worthwhile to check the schematics for missing parts, and then ensure that the rotor is wiggle free.  A dented rotor seems unlikely if the wear marks go all the way around the rotor.

-J

Scattergun2570

Quote from: Midway Tommy on April 02, 2021, 04:52:47 PM
I see this quite often. It usually happens when someone dropped the reel and the rotor or spool got bent, i.e. out of round. I have seldom seen it happen as a result of a worn bearing or bent shaft. You can make the rotor and/or spool round again so they don't rub, if that is the cause, but be careful as the rotor can crack easily.   

Actually I reassembled the reel and I am still getting a binding in the oscillation cycle..also, I think I made a mistake by removing the anti reverse lever,,It now seems to only work in a position the lever shouldn`t even be able to travel to. SO now I have two issues.

Scattergun2570

Quote from: foakes on April 02, 2021, 05:04:11 PM
On any open-faced spinning reel — 9 times out of 10 — if there is an issue — it can generally be traced to something on the "outside" of the reel that became damaged or distorted by careless handling.

Crank handle, spool, spool shaft, bail, bail arm, rotor, etc. — basically, anything protruding that may have been tweaked.

And almost anything can be repositioned or adjusted to work properly.

Most problems can be diagnosed quickly by an examination for anything rubbing at a certain point of operation — then by removing a part or two to see if the noise or catch is gone — or still there.

Seldom do parts just "fail" on the insides of quality spinners — it almost always can be traced to a issue on the outer
part of the reel.

Best, Fred

Actually I reassembled the reel and I am still getting a binding in the oscillation cycle without the spool in place..also, I think I made a mistake by removing the anti reverse lever,,It now seems to only work in a position the lever shouldn`t even be able to travel to. SO now I have two issues. Maybe someone can walk me through getting the anti reverse lever back in the correct position?