What line?

Started by AlasKen, April 09, 2021, 03:53:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AlasKen

I have a basic question.  When to use braid, flouro, and mono?  I fish AK from boat.  Drop for butts. Jigging for rock fish.  Jigging  mooching, or downrigger trolling for salmon. 

I am currently using braid with a ~10 yd mono topshot.

I use mono on kids penn #9.

I try not to get caught up on marketing hype.  We fish pretty large tides so a lot of current to drop in.  Thanks in advance.

David Hall

This is another of those 64 million dollar questions.  There's at least a large variety of answers and none perfectly right or wrong. So it's opinions that count here and mine is take it with a grain of NaCl.
1. I use braid on everything except small trout fishing reels, then it's just mono all the way.
2. I always use a flouro or mono topshot, not a long one either, 25' max.
If I'm bait fishing it's flouro topshot if it's jigging irons or float fishing then it's mono topshot.
Cost wise flouro is more expensive than mono so I don't use it unless there is some specific advantage.  I like to rig my salmon leaders with 40# flouro because they can be finicky eaters and I've had many days when mono doesn't get bit bit but flour does.
But I will use braid simply for its resistance to abrasion and higher tensile strength to line diameter as compared to mono.
You can pack substantially more 40# braid on a reel than you can #40 mono so kinda makes sense to me to do that.
98% of my fishing is salt water.

alantani

for rockfish, i always use straight braid to a swivel, bar or swim bait. halibut shouldn't care, but straight braid is always good for deep water.  for salmon, i still use straight 25 pound mono for our small fish.  i like the stretch.
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

philaroman

really, really like braid for diameter, no memory, better functionality w/ twist from spinners, etc.
miss the stretch, sometimes -- accordingly, don't like zero-stretch w/ shorter Fast rods, or ANY X-Fast
also, no braid w/ older, softer metal guides -- solid ceramic or carbide rings, pref.