Mahi mahi themed fishing rod

Started by steelfish, April 09, 2021, 05:18:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

steelfish

well, I know there are many custom painted mahi mahi themed rods out there, but this is by version, painted with regular paint spray cans, this is my 1st time trying the mix-blend two tones all the length of the blank, in my normal 5 senses I wouldn't have tried that but since the customer said doit and I will pay even if resulted in a mess well then I did it without much pressure and that resulted on a pretty decent job, the middle line where the two colors blend is not as straight as in the "others" rods you see by other guys but hey!! check the real thing! that Dorado fish didnt have a perfect straigh line either haha, I used that sentence a lot of time to stop the OCD on me on the paint job

good thing is the owner just saw the rod and was pretty exited and happy with it, so its another hit, but If I have to do another one like this I will have to charge more LOL

check it out guys and give me your opinions.

PS: I already said it in another thread, before trying this paint job on the blank of the customer I used my blem rainshadow no-branded special priced blank to test my skills with the mahi mahi paint job, but since I liked it a lot on that blank and the weather was excellent to paint out side I ran for the blank of the customer and painted it at the same time, so now I have another blank already mahi-mahi painted waiting for "when I have free time" to build it as a swimbait rod for light inshore use.

The Baja Guy

steelfish

few more

The Baja Guy

Midway Tommy

Oh my! :o  That's jaw dropping beautiful, Alex!  8)
Love those open face spinning reels! (Especially ABU & ABU/Zebco Cardinals)

Tommy D (ORCA), NE

Favorite Activity? ............... In our boat fishing
RELAXING w/ MY BEST FRIEND (My wife Bonnie)

pjstevko

oc1

I have to admit, I was skeptical at first Alex.  But, it turned out great.  You're an artist.

thorhammer

Compadre, you seem to keep finding ways to take it up a notch or six. Fantastic! That one deserves a matches margarita to celebrate it. I'll do the honors; I have a bottle of Hornitos in the freezer for just such an event!

Donnyboat

Looks Great Alex, thanks for showing us, cheers Don.
Don, or donnyboat

steelfish

Quote from: thorhammer on April 09, 2021, 07:31:34 PM
That one deserves a matches margarita to celebrate it. I'll do the honors; I have a bottle of Hornitos in the freezer for just such an event!

yay you have a PM with my address!

thanks in advance
The Baja Guy

steelfish

Quote from: oc1 on April 09, 2021, 07:31:22 PM
I have to admit, I was skeptical at first Alex.  But, it turned out great. 

that was a very kind way to give a compliment  8)

why?  to be honest, I was also skeptical on doing a good paint job but the owner loved it, so, Im happy with that.
The Baja Guy

Brewcrafter

That is one heck of great looking rod!  And fits the Mahi theme perfectly! - john

conchydong

Alex, it is time to quit your day job and become a "full time" professional cutom rod builder. Outstanding work.

Scott

oldmanjoe

There are no straight  lines in nature .   Only straight line is between walls and ceilings ....
   Good color theme / combinations  with the thread bands , you have a gifted eye well done 
Grandpa`s words of wisdom......Joey that thing between your shoulders is not a hat rack.....    use it.....
A mind is like a parachute, it only work`s  when it is open.......
The power of Observation   , It`s all about the Details ..
 Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.   Alto Mare

Bryan Young

:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

Swami805

That came out great Alex, sure looks like a darado!
Do what you can with that you have where you are

thorhammer

Alex, spectacular graphics aside, your threadwork and finish just gets cleaner and cleaner, very nice!