MITCHEL 600 SERIES HANDLE NUT

Started by kevin cozens, September 08, 2023, 06:25:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kevin cozens

I have an old Mitchell 624 multiplier.
Its a lovely reel and a great workhorse.
If there is one thing that gets on my nerves
is having to remove the handle screw.
I have the OEM spanner but it is not what
you call a nice tool to use.
The handle nut is similar to other reels such as Penn and
Phimano but with a difference. It has more teeth.
If you look at the comparison you will see what I mean.
I got a decent aftermarket tool that fits other reels
but not the Mitchell.
Any idea of where I can get a better spanner to fit the Mitchell

JasonGotaProblem

I just use a combination of adjustable wrench, and lack of basic decency.
Any machine is a smoke machine if you use it wrong enough.

Gfish

Ha!😃. Or you could wrap a pair of slip-joint pliers with cloth around the big sharp teeth.
Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!

foakes

If this will work, Kevin —-

I'll send you one.

N/C —- just pay shipping.  I can toss it in with the Daiwa LD50 drag.

Best, Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

alantani

don't laugh, but these work great!

QuoteGator Grip The Original Self-Adjusting Universal Socket with Power Drill Adapter. Self-Adjusts for Shape and Size as well as Standard and Metric application
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Jim Fujitani

I had a Gator Grip.  It worked great, until it grew legs and walked away about ten years ago.....  Now one of my friends or relatives is the proud owner. 

kevin cozens

Quote from: foakes on September 08, 2023, 07:32:50 PMIf this will work, Kevin —-

I'll send you one.

N/C —- just pay shipping.  I can toss it in with the Daiwa LD50 drag.

Best, Fred
many thanks for the offer but i already got one

kevin cozens

Quote from: Jim Fujitani on September 09, 2023, 03:13:14 PMI had a Gator Grip.  It worked great, until it grew legs and walked away about ten years ago.....  Now one of my friends or relatives is the proud owner. 
must have been a 10mm version. they always go missing

kevin cozens

Quote from: alantani on September 09, 2023, 03:28:18 AMdon't laugh, but these work great!

QuoteGator Grip The Original Self-Adjusting Universal Socket with Power Drill Adapter. Self-Adjusts for Shape and Size as well as Standard and Metric application

I might just get one to try. it can always be used for other jobs

kevin cozens

i think i might have found a way to make a tool but there is a BUT.
If i can find a 16 spline coupling in 15mm size then i can weld a nut to it so i can use it as a socket
the coupling in the web link is what i need to make the tool
https://www.flowfitonline.com/products/16-teeth-splined-half-coupling-w35-x-2-x-16-x-9h-din-5480?gclid=Cj0KCQjw0vWnBhC6ARIsAJpJM6fvhKxa-MQlAD1QEVzrnUoUauLNNo3FlC2pq1UoIRReGu04qkDjcD0aAltwEALw_wcB

kevin cozens

I decided to make a better tool using the original spanner. All i done was make a handle from a length of 20mm aluminium bar. i cut a thick slot in it and made a threaded hole to clamp it to the spanner. i had to cut the spanner a bit as it stuck out of the side. Oh by the way. the spanners are made from hardened steel. A hacksaw would not touch them so i used a grinder to gut them.
I glued the spanner in the handle using JB Weld and when it set i put some heatshrink over it so its not slippery.