Diesel Fuel

Started by Bill B, April 11, 2021, 02:22:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Crow

"Bio" diesel is worse for growth than "regular" diesel...but neither like "long term" storage, without treatment. Treat your fuel, and change your filters when they start to "plug up".
There's nothing wrong with a few "F's" on your record....Food, Fun, Flowers, Fishing, Friends, and Fun....to name just a few !

Gobi King

Quote from: Crow on April 12, 2021, 04:54:12 PM
"Bio" diesel is worse for growth than "regular" diesel...but neither like "long term" storage, without treatment. Treat your fuel, and change your filters when they start to "plug up".

oh, no bio for long term, just smells greaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaat, lol, the bio pump is on my way to my range, by the time I go there and come back, I am ready to refill the tank  ;D
Shibs - aka The Gobi King
Fichigan

Bill B

Any thoughts on Seafoam for diesel?  I use it for my gas (but just started storing gas for my generators this winter).
It may not be very productive,
but it's sure going to be interesting!

Gobi King

Quote from: Bill B (Tarfu) on April 13, 2021, 12:27:31 AM
Any thoughts on Seafoam for diesel?  I use it for my gas (but just started storing gas for my generators this winter).

Diesel Addys:
1. Anti Gel
2. Lubricity
3. Cetane boost
4. Biocide

not sure where Seafoam lands, #2 maybe?
Fichigan

oldmanjoe

Grandpa`s words of wisdom......Joey that thing between your shoulders is not a hat rack.....    use it.....
A mind is like a parachute, it only work`s  when it is open.......
The power of Observation   , It`s all about the Details ..
 Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.   Alto Mare

Gobi King

Quote from: oldmanjoe on April 13, 2021, 03:27:50 AM
https://seafoamworks.com/product/sea-foam-motor-treatment-oil-fuel-additive/

nice,

Stabilizes gas & diesel fuels up to 2 years and lubes the chamber.

Mine is direct injection.

I am still weary of using it in my newer diesel, too many expensive parts to go poop.
Fichigan

foakes

Seafoam just works on everything — Diesel, gas.

I use it for my outboard, and all of the gas tools around here — chainsaws, wood splitter, weed-eater, DR mower, lawn mowers, pressure washer, generator — plus the truck and car.

Professionals in the trades use and recommend Seafoam.

It slowly dissolves and removes the crud buildup in the insides of engines — fuel, oil, injectors, oil ports, etc..

This is a good explanation of a capable product that has been around for over 70 years.

https://www.readersdigest.ca/cars/maintenance/sea-foam-engine-treatment/

Best, Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

Crow

The only downside to *Seafoam...or , really, and fuel system "cleaner", is that it DOES clean...so, if you haven't been using it, expect several plugged filteers, after you start using it...the "older" the vehicle, the more "crud" is in the system, so it can take awhile before the crap stops flowing !
There's nothing wrong with a few "F's" on your record....Food, Fun, Flowers, Fishing, Friends, and Fun....to name just a few !

Makule

Tried to be a good citizen and used biodiesel in my dump truck.  That fuel gummed up my injection pump and injectors.  Cost me some $$$ to repair the pump and replace the injectors.  Had to drain the tank but could not get all of the fuel out so the problem happened a second time.  So much for being "environmentally conscious".
I used to be in a constant state of improvement.  Now I'm in a constant state of renovation.

Gobi King

Quote from: Makule on April 26, 2021, 08:39:36 AM
Tried to be a good citizen and used biodiesel in my dump truck.  That fuel gummed up my injection pump and injectors.  Cost me some $$$ to repair the pump and replace the injectors.  Had to drain the tank but could not get all of the fuel out so the problem happened a second time.  So much for being "environmentally conscious".

Makule,
How long does the fuel sit in your dump truck?

My Chevi Dmax is probably neglected diesel east of the Mississippi. Did you run straight BIO? or a blend?
I run 5% to 10% blend in mine few times a year.  Per my butt dino the best fuel I have ever run was bio from a co-op near Grand Island, NE.

Guys in my Chevi club have lost injectors due to abrasive stuff getting through or h20 into the injectors.
Fichigan

Crow

For what it's worth....my last "real job" was wrenching at a Massey Ferguson dealership...and, naturally, all the customers were farmers. Almost to a man, all of them were NOT big fans of bio diesel, especially in ratios above 10% bio. Too many issues with clogging, jelling, and pump issues ! These guys all seemed to feel that, while it sounded good to have another "market" for their soy beans, it wasn't all as "rosy" as it appeared ! Most fuel stations in our area that sell diesel, sell either 10%, 0r 11% bio IN THE SUMMER, and switch to "straight" diesel, in the fall / winter...too many complaints with fuel jelling in the colder weather. In my pickup...Duramax...I have had issues with the fuel "jelling" in cold weather (when I still STAYED here during the winter !!), and always at the "start" of the cold weather...when there was still some bio fuel in MY tank, as well as in the gas station's tank...as the season progresses, and the "ratio" of Real" to "bio" got better, the "problems" got fewer ! I have tried...or SEEN tried, just about every brand of "fuel conditioner" there is....some swear by one kind...other's swear by ANOTHER kind ! My take on it is, if you live where temps get below 20-25 degrees...don't use bio fuel in the "cold times".....if you use bio fuel...no matter WHAT the temps are...figure on more frequent filter changes...if you use a "fuel conditioner"...use it all the time, not just  "occasionally".
As to any difference in "power output" between "real" diesel, and 10% bio blend, any dyno tests we did at the dealership showed little..if any..difference in HP, although, one test we did on a "fairly large" tractor (about 300 HP), that was run on "straight 100% bio", showed a very slight HP INCREASE, over what it put out on 100% "real" diesel. I would add that , for any who "blend" #1 diesel (kerosene) into their equipment in the winter, to help eliminate jelling, WILL show some pretty significant power drops, as well as more injection pump issues (under "full power" operation.

Mic

Crow,

Where is "Here" ?

(when I still STAYED here during the winter !!),

Mic

Crow

Whiteside County, Illinois.......about 30 miles east of the Quad Cities

Gfish

Interesting. Well written/informative article, Joe. Here now for years, I've been try'n to avoid filling up, while, or right after, the delivery truck was filling the underground tank. Thinking sediment was being stirred-up and clogging my filter.
Always heard good things about Seafoam(where'd that name come from?). Could'a used some on the continentinal divide pass in Wyoming once. 5 degrees F outside on Thanksgiving day and water was freezing in my exposed-dirty glass fuel filter, causing hesitations and fits and starts. Never was so happy to finally hit the peak, pass all the big rigs chaining-up, and start downhill towards Lander. That long, stressful, white-kunckle driving will prematurely age you.
Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!

Gobi King

Quote from: Crow on April 26, 2021, 04:21:00 PM
For what it's worth....my last "real job" was wrenching at a Massey Ferguson dealership...and, naturally, all the customers were farmers. Almost to a man, all of them were NOT big fans of bio diesel, especially in ratios above 10% bio. Too many issues with clogging, jelling, and pump issues ! These guys all seemed to feel that, while it sounded good to have another "market" for their soy beans, it wasn't all as "rosy" as it appeared ! Most fuel stations in our area that sell diesel, sell either 10%, 0r 11% bio IN THE SUMMER, and switch to "straight" diesel, in the fall / winter...too many complaints with fuel jelling in the colder weather. In my pickup...Duramax...I have had issues with the fuel "jelling" in cold weather (when I still STAYED here during the winter !!), and always at the "start" of the cold weather...when there was still some bio fuel in MY tank, as well as in the gas station's tank...as the season progresses, and the "ratio" of Real" to "bio" got better, the "problems" got fewer ! I have tried...or SEEN tried, just about every brand of "fuel conditioner" there is....some swear by one kind...other's swear by ANOTHER kind ! My take on it is, if you live where temps get below 20-25 degrees...don't use bio fuel in the "cold times".....if you use bio fuel...no matter WHAT the temps are...figure on more frequent filter changes...if you use a "fuel conditioner"...use it all the time, not just  "occasionally".
As to any difference in "power output" between "real" diesel, and 10% bio blend, any dyno tests we did at the dealership showed little..if any..difference in HP, although, one test we did on a "fairly large" tractor (about 300 HP), that was run on "straight 100% bio", showed a very slight HP INCREASE, over what it put out on 100% "real" diesel. I would add that , for any who "blend" #1 diesel (kerosene) into their equipment in the winter, to help eliminate jelling, WILL show some pretty significant power drops, as well as more injection pump issues (under "full power" operation.

Crow, my neighbor bought a Massey, you must have some stories.

Gelling - the one word I dread. My strategy has been to use up my summer gas and in October buy diesel from a high volume diesel place solely.
Some years I add some spice to my tank:

https://www.peakhd.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/01/PEAK_DFA_ANTI-GEL-CONCENTRATE-Spec-Sheet_0917.pdf?x38462
https://www.hotshotsecret.com/diesel-winter-anti-gel/

both are sold at Tractor Supply, so sourcing is important for me, I have never gelled till now. My truck sits a lot with OLD fuel and it starts right up when it is -14F outside as I have to move it for the snow truck.

Hotshot is what I am using now, All I do is dump some in the tank before it gets below 30s.

I do use Soyshield in summer as snake oil [not sure why], my aim in summer is to boost some cetane so my miles intervals between DPF clean cycle is little more than 100 miles. :o

Fichigan