Abu Garcia Ambassador 5500/6500 Frames...

Started by steelhead_killer, April 12, 2021, 06:50:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

steelhead_killer

Well its been an interesting ride the last few days.  I have had three ABU's in a row that just will not go back together properly. I remember reading years ago that the frames can become twisted when under heavier than designed load.  All three of them are 6500's with very heavy braid loaded on them.  A couple show signs of the spool rubbing on the frame on one side or the other.  These guys in Idaho use them on the Snake River for sturgeon and big Catfish whether by accident or by design.  Mostly I see worm gears and pawls destroyed.  Some gears and pinions.  My question is this...Is there a way of visually inspecting the frames for this damage?  Perhaps a measurement to show the twist of the frame?  Also, I recall someone saying they can be twisted in the opposite direction carefully to minimize the damage. Clearly, I can't find either of those posts as they were part of different threads.  Or, is the binding a result of a bent spool shaft?  Any ideas?

Thanks!

Andy
><)))">

oc1

Not sure Andy, but think that if the reel will open easily with the quick-takeapart screws then it will go back togethers easily too.  I always have trouble getting ambassadeurs to snap beck together.  Engaging and disengaging the clutch button helps to line up the pinion.  The most common problem is having the centrifugal brake shoes get in the way.  Push the brake shoes in so they can slip inside the race as it goes together.

steelhead_killer

Thank you. Like you I have probably worked in 100's of these reels over the years.  You learn the little nuances of them.  You know when they feel right, you know when they don't.  The frame twist and subsequent rubbing or binding is new to me as most people use them for steelhead, salmon or bass fishing and within there designed limits.  Here, guys use heavier line, bigger water, heavier gear, bigger fish.  As a result, gears, worm gears, just get eaten up.  And it puts so much load on the frames they bend and twist.
><)))">

Donnyboat

Hi Andy, if you can identify witch side of the spool is rubbing, try a shim or two, on that side, good luck cheers don.
Don, or donnyboat

tincanary

It definitely could be a bent shaft.  I had it happen with an eBay reel.  It looked very nice from the pics, but when I got it home it had the slightest bit of resistance when turning the handle.  There was also a little bit of wear on the spool at the crank side.  I had a spare shaft in my parts bin, swapped it and the reel has been perfect ever since.