Have I become spoiled?

Started by JasonGotaProblem, April 13, 2021, 03:28:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jeri

On a 14', we are using 25H, 16H, 10H, 8M, then KT8, with spacing 14", 12", 10" & 8" for the rest. For 50lb braid.

On a 12', we are using 20H, 16H, 10H, 6M then KT6. For 35lb braid.

The above are quite tame sizes, for real performance we opt for LC16M, LC10, LC8, then a string of KT8, and that is for 50lb braid.

Be aware for future builds, and possible repairs you might need to do to this rod, the black painted on stainless steel frames from Fuji are discontinued, as are polished stainless steel. They will no longer be making them in those frame finishes.

jgp12000

I have only looked and held a St. Croix rod never owned one. I just can't bring myself to pay that much for a rod. I am more into reels but have my limit on what I would spend there as well. I really like the Fenwick Eagle rods, the action and the way they cast for the price are hard to beat in my opinion. I could see paying more for a customized rod. I think if a customized rod is superior to any name brand I would prefer it anyway.

JasonGotaProblem

Jeri, you put em that far apart? My reducers are more like 6-8" apart. I'll play with some wider spacing and see how I likenit. And I kinda assumed they were getting discontinued. That explains why ive gotten them for so cheap. So what now, gunmetal only?

I've fondled many fenwick eagle rods. Haven't brought any up to the cash register yet but they seem like good tackle. :) I'm not sure I'll be buying any more new factory rods though: I'm spoiled.
Any machine is a smoke machine if you use it wrong enough.

Jeri

Quote from: JasonGotaPenn on April 18, 2021, 02:03:34 PM
Jeri, you put em that far apart? My reducers are more like 6-8" apart. I'll play with some wider spacing and see how I likenit. And I kinda assumed they were getting discontinued. That explains why ive gotten them for so cheap. So what now, gunmetal only?

Squeezing up the 'rapid transition'  guides can induce a choking area to the line flow. The use of small eyed guides is already a benefit over big eyed guides, so to reverse the gain is liek going backwards after going forwards. Just our take on what is happening.

JasonGotaProblem

Nobody seems to wanna buy the st croix. Should I just rebuild it? I figure I already have the guides. I really want that black hole blank but I don't have the funds to back up that desire.

quabbin boy 62

i think whatever you do with that st croix is secondary, sounds to me that what you've learned from all of it about your own desires and abilities is worth a lot more than 200.00. i think you should build your rods, you can set them up for your arm length and casting style, NOBODY else can do that.

JasonGotaProblem

The st croix is sold for 130. That's a 10' Suzuki special and guides. I already have cork and reel seat. Game on.