Mitchell 302 Planamatic vs Crosswind?

Started by kjdunne, April 15, 2021, 05:53:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kjdunne

Which gives a better line lay for braid and for mono?  I've been using 20 lb mono with a crosswind gear which works fine.  When I was given the reel, the 2 posts on the planamatic ring were sheared, so I put in the crosswind gear. Thinking of going to 30 or 40 lb braid.  I have new planamatic parts (thanks Fred!) and will install them if they will give better results.

Kal

Gfish

Never used a 302 without the planomatic system, but my best guess is that this system does better. Crank it and watch the spool as it moves, there's a slight hesitation at the top and bottom areas of the up/down cycle, then there is further movement even higher or lower, after the hesitation.
It's hassel to change-out to the diffrent system, but that may be the best way to see...
Wonder how those 2-posts got sheared?...
Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!

kjdunne

My guess is it was reassembled incorrectly by a previous owner.

Gfish

Yeah, maybe then some excess cranking pressure. I'll get this thing to turn!"
Also, you might godda strip the spool after the change-out to really see how the spool will look when it's loaded-up. Would love to see the results if you test the 2 diffrent systems.
Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!

mo65

Quote from: Gfish on April 15, 2021, 07:31:30 PM
Would love to see the results if you test the 2 different systems.

Me too...don't think I've ever seen a real world comparison.
~YOU CAN TUNA GEETAR...BUT YOU CAN'T TUNA FEESH~