alan tani @ alantani.com fishing reel repair rebuild tutorial Avet SX Raptor video
Reel Repair by Alan Tani
May 11, 2021, 11:25:07 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Avet SX Raptor video  (Read 587 times)
mmayo

Barking Spider

« on: April 20, 2021, 12:20:22 AM »

Yes, it has been a while since I made one, but thanks to my video editing nephew Joe Roos I have a couple of new ones. If you have this reel and ten minutes you can service your reel after each trip. I do!

Kites fly the highest against the wind, not with it.
AlasKen
Photo Group

Kenneth "Crystal Dawn" Eagle River, AK

« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2021, 12:59:26 AM »

Thanks very much.  Well done video. 
alantani
admin
Administrator

« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2021, 04:00:37 AM »

very nice!!!!!   Grin

send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!
akfish

« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2021, 02:11:13 PM »

Very good, like all your tutorials! But I have two requests: First, I always find it hard to get the left side to mesh properly with the right side. The posts on the drag plate never want to line up. Is there a trick I am missing? Second, a comment or two on the pinion bearing -- lubrication and replacement when necesssary would be helpful. Far too often it is an absolute bear to get out...

Taku Reel Repair
Juneau, Alaska
mmayo

Barking Spider

« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2021, 06:38:13 PM »

Very good, like all your tutorials! But I have two requests: First, I always find it hard to get the left side to mesh properly with the right side. The posts on the drag plate never want to line up. Is there a trick I am missing? Second, a comment or two on the pinion bearing -- lubrication and replacement when necesssary would be helpful. Far too often it is an absolute bear to get out...

There is very little to tell you except assemble the reel as Iíve demonstrated and hold the frame to the side plate. With pressure applied, be sure the sides are lined up - look at the screw holes. Now rotate the handle WHILE KEEPING PRESSURE APPLIED. You should get a good mesh after a couple of rotations, but keep applying pressure until two screws are in place. Keep rotating the handle to verify smooth turning without any binding. If it binds loosen all screws and try again. After a few successful tries youíll wonder what the problem was.

I fish my Avets hard with serious drag pressure. After a big fish Iíve had 18# on my JX non raptor. Iíve changed two pinion bearings in 10 years. I will still try to make a video to satisfy your request.

Thanks

Kites fly the highest against the wind, not with it.
stoked4fishin

« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2021, 11:04:18 PM »

Very nice!
akfish

« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2021, 03:15:55 PM »

Thanks Marc. As for the pinion bearings: They rarely seem to go out on the Raptors, but a large portion of the other small Avets I get in need t have them replaced. Most often, this is due to a lack of maintenance and saltwater; and occasionally they need to be replaced because the drag was set too high. It is often very difficult to remove the old bearing.

Taku Reel Repair
Juneau, Alaska
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: