Avet SX Raptor video

Started by mmayo, April 20, 2021, 12:20:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mmayo

Yes, it has been a while since I made one, but thanks to my video editing nephew Joe Roos I have a couple of new ones. If you have this reel and ten minutes you can service your reel after each trip. I do!

Kites fly the highest against the wind, not with it.

AlasKen

Thanks very much.  Well done video. 

alantani

send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

akfish

Very good, like all your tutorials! But I have two requests: First, I always find it hard to get the left side to mesh properly with the right side. The posts on the drag plate never want to line up. Is there a trick I am missing? Second, a comment or two on the pinion bearing -- lubrication and replacement when necesssary would be helpful. Far too often it is an absolute bear to get out...
Taku Reel Repair
Juneau, Alaska

mmayo

Quote from: akfish on April 20, 2021, 02:11:13 PM
Very good, like all your tutorials! But I have two requests: First, I always find it hard to get the left side to mesh properly with the right side. The posts on the drag plate never want to line up. Is there a trick I am missing? Second, a comment or two on the pinion bearing -- lubrication and replacement when necesssary would be helpful. Far too often it is an absolute bear to get out...

There is very little to tell you except assemble the reel as I've demonstrated and hold the frame to the side plate. With pressure applied, be sure the sides are lined up - look at the screw holes. Now rotate the handle WHILE KEEPING PRESSURE APPLIED. You should get a good mesh after a couple of rotations, but keep applying pressure until two screws are in place. Keep rotating the handle to verify smooth turning without any binding. If it binds loosen all screws and try again. After a few successful tries you'll wonder what the problem was.

I fish my Avets hard with serious drag pressure. After a big fish I've had 18# on my JX non raptor. I've changed two pinion bearings in 10 years. I will still try to make a video to satisfy your request.

Thanks

stoked4fishin

akfish

Thanks Marc. As for the pinion bearings: They rarely seem to go out on the Raptors, but a large portion of the other small Avets I get in need t have them replaced. Most often, this is due to a lack of maintenance and saltwater; and occasionally they need to be replaced because the drag was set too high. It is often very difficult to remove the old bearing.
Taku Reel Repair
Juneau, Alaska

desertsalth2o

Looked at this after spending almost the entire day yesterday, with 1-1/2 cocktails, opening and closing a 10 yr old MXL6/4 for my first time.  Looked mint inside. My use is 2 or 3 days a year in the salt with this reel, soft fresh water rinse and a drop of oil occasionally beforehand, shift lever and button, handle and knob, lever pivot.  That's been it until yesterday.  Before I was done watching the video the exact Megapro and bit were in my cart, though stopping to take exacting notes throughout it took Mark closer to 3 hrs than 10 minutes to service his friend's Raptor. LOL)

I'm wondering if anyone knows whether dog and arm having same grease painting as the rest of the side plate would materially matter very much if I left it that way, fishing south of Juneau, 60F and up air temp?  No issues engaging the dog in my garage just now.  Cheers all, Bill.

PS, I do have a raptor packed away.  My MXL has phil head screws attaching the side plate.  Vessel 2P screwdriver is an exact fit, no marring the screw heads.

mmayo

Keep any and all grease away from the s shaped dog actuating arm.  Light oil only.  Cold or hot it will work.

creech

i 2nd the continuous maintenance on raptors. all the one's i worked on, the drag plate face had corrosion build up. my own included. haha

& yes i put a light dab of drag grease on all of 'em as a result.

Carl