Started by steelfish, April 21, 2021, 09:52:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MarkT

Well, did you try JB welding it yet?
When I was your age Pluto was a planet!

steelfish

Quote from: MarkT on April 23, 2021, 05:10:24 PM
Well, did you try JB welding it yet?

oh no, it might take few days to do it, Im pretty busy with some rods I need to finish for this weekend, one is a gift for a 10yo kid (I will show some pics soon) and others for a captain of BOLA (bay of los Angeles, Baja). the owner of the reel doesnt have any rush so, I wont touch it for few days or a week.

The Baja Guy

Swami805

I think I would cut a few parallel groves perpendicular to the crack then get the epoxy into the crack and the groves. Then some pressure like a hose clamp or maybe the ring while it's curing. Might make sense to epoxy the ring on there to add some rigidity
Do what you can with that you have where you are

jurelometer

The purpose of a rough sand on the surface is to end up with deep irregular grooves with micro-burrs.  The burrs create "overhangs" in the part, something like in the drawing below.  

When the epoxy fills the sanded area, it surrounds the burrs,  locking the hardened epoxy in place.  Now some of the base material has to be torn out in order for the epoxy to release, or the epoxy has to break from itself.  This what it is called a mechanical bond.  Sanding in multiple directions ensures that there are more burrs, and that the burrs tend to not be aligned, making the bond stronger in multiple directions.

There is some additional benefit from varying the angles of the bonded surface, and increasing the surface area.

-J

steelfish

Quote from: jurelometer on April 24, 2021, 01:08:14 AM
This what it is called a mechanical bond. -J

I had to google Mechanical Bond when you said it the 1st time, but I think got it clear, I have some ugly dented Carbide burr drill bits that I will manually use them for scratching the surface where the epoxy will be put, I will try it more for the science and test it than for actually thinking in repair it.

-- Alex

The Baja Guy

MarkT

Yeah, just rough it up to give the epoxy something to grip... a mechanical bond!
When I was your age Pluto was a planet!

oc1

A crack is bad, a crack with one side shifted out of place is really bad.  If you can pry it open then do it, but it could easily cause more damage.  Like Joe, I would use a soldering iron with wedge tip.  Use the iron to cut a 'V' notch along the crack and across the crack to make more room for the JB.  Sometimes you can lay a piece of hard wire in the perpendicular notch and then cover the whole thing with JB; sort of like a splint.