Broken Side Plate Screw on Abu Garcia Record No. 60

Started by radray, January 08, 2012, 01:11:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

radray

I have a Record No. 60 reel and during maintenance, one of the screw head broke on one of the screws (Part No. 199 according to the schematics). I managed to luckily take out the broken screw without damaging the threads. This is the side plate on the non-drive side. Does anyone know the size of the screw so I can get a replacement.

Also, how do you usually remove screws with a broken head? Is there a tool that small that will work in case it ever happens again?

Thank you.
Raymond

alantani

ambassaduer will generally send these out for free.  call them at 800-228-4272
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Nessie Hunter

Side plate screws (most common to break) can be tricky.. 
Sometimes you can just take the rest out and remove side plate and grab broken one with pliers & they will come out...
If your lucky!!!!!!!!!!

They more commonly strip the head out with driver cuz they are stuck so tight!!
Same thing, drill head off and remove plate etc etc

Have seen some ideas here fr removing other broken off but, aint nuttin easy!!! lol
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intentions of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body. But rather to slide in sideways, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming....
WOW!!! WHAT A RIDE!

Snagged2

I recently had an aluminum framed jigmaster reel, had 4 broken off screws..

Wouldn't budge,,
They weren't proud enough to use pliers on.

I carefully filed the screws flat,, used an automatic center punch to dimple the centers of the screws,, drilled a small hole completely through the screws..(5-40)

Then filled the void with some corrosion eating solvent( Barnes copper solvent) . Used a propane torch to gently heat the frame,, Hot to the touch,, but, not to burn me..
Gave it a little time to "work"...

Because...

I didn't have an "E-Z" out small enough,, so, I ground a small screwdriver to work. Gently tapped it into the drilled out screws,Then worked them out..slowly and carefully

Repeating the solvent and heat process a couple of times on some of them..

After they were removed, I cleaned the threaded holes out with solvent and compressed air.. ran a 5-40 bottoming tap into the holes,,,cleaned again,, then greased,,and, reassembled the reel..It worked OK this time!!

Some screws,, are very small,,, might be hard to do the above method.. :D

radray

All I know was that it scared the hell out of me because most of the screw were in. Nothing for pliers to grab onto. Good thing my friend had something small enough that he managed to catch catch an end of the broken screw and back it out slowly. I thought I was going to have to buy a new frame or something.

Thanks for the tip everyone. I appreciate all the help. Anybody know the size of the screws by any chance?

alantani

it's metric with a european pitch (as opposed to a japanese pitch).  if you can't get one from abu, let me know and i will mail you a couple.  you should be able to find one that fits. 

radray

Thank you Alan. I will contact Abu Garcia tomorrow to request some screws. I will let you know how that goes.

radray

Thank you all for your help. I called Abu Garcia and spoke with Terri who sent me the replacement screw. No hassles and they sent it out quickly. I am happy with their service.

alantani

whenever i've called them, they have always been helpful as well.