2 spots avail overnite fishing 5/4 out of Ventura

Started by sciaenops, April 22, 2021, 05:28:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Swami805

Heck of a fun trip with some slob sea bass. Only 13 passengers for a boat that usually takes 30. Tons of room, great boat crew and skipper. Awesome boat burger too.  It was  windy and cloudy on the way out as dawn broke the wind back off, clouds vanished and it was calm as a lake, tee shirt weather.  Literally when we racked the rods the wind came up and the fog rolled in, perfect timing. 
A
Giant thanks and hats to Keith (Sciaenops) for putting the trip together. Simply outstanding in every way
Great fishing with you Bill,hope we can do it again soon
Do what you can with that you have where you are

Hardy Boy

Nice trip. Good job Bill ! I hope to get a WSB one of these days. You need really heavy gear to land a seal.

Cheers:

Todd
Todd

Vintage Offshore Tackle

Congratulations Bill and Sheridan.  Sounds like one of those rare perfect trips in every respect.   Great decision to book that trip yesterday!  It's wonderful to be one of the guys who was there yesterday, instead of one of the guys who gets told that he should have been here yesterday.

sciaenops

Just another trip on the Endeavor with Capt. Tucker McCombs.  ;)  Story was well told by Bill and Sheridan, as the stars aligned with great weather, excellent fishing at times and fresh meat for all. I was only sorry my 2 carpool buds did not deck a ghost, but luckily others did more than their share so everybody took one home.

Typical, almost predictable wsb bite in 2 waves. Interestingly, the 2 guys fishing jigs -- Sheridan with his heavy white Tady, and his guest Steve Schrieken who was slow pitching -- I believe were among the select few who hooked multiple fish. We only had a very limited & intermittent supply of live squirts that the deckies jigged up in real time, otherwise boat limits would have been likely.

Had some comedic relief when skipper asked "deep or shallow rockfishing?" I have a running joke with him to never, EVER make me do those 500+ foot death drops. Well he took me a little too literally moving us into 100' whitefish grounds. After some re-negotiation, he relented and we hit some of his better rocks in 200-300', which is what I really meant by staying shallow. I think he was just messin w/me.

Brewcrafter

Awesome report, that looks like a great trip!  Congrats guys! - john

Bryan Young

:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

Swami805

One other highlight was a group of blue whales, pretty rare sight these days, largest creatures on earth by far.
Do what you can with that you have where you are

pjstevko

Looks like a great trip with quality fish for all!

One day i hope to catch a wsb but a yellowtail is still first on the list for the last 3 years....

Gfish

Wow. Great trip. Great report Bill. What a mixed bag. Sounds like a great vessel to fish from. Seals, dolphins and BLUE whales!, to boot!
Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!

Jim Fujitani

Good report!!  Sounds like the guys that made the trip really had a great time on an ultra limited load overnighter!

WSB...  A great eating mild fish, one of only a few species that my wife will eat!!

steelfish

grreat report Bill and Sheridan, looks like a one of those days when the plan ends as "planned".

SHeridan, you seems to have a lucky reel or lucky shirt or something, I have seen you catch the pig of the day few times already, that WSB was a real pig, good meals for many days, maybe even a taco Tuesday !!

update:
what a coincidence, I was checking a FB group of Slowpitching in north America and a guy posted (Sheridan's friend who was using the SPJ rod) a report there and some pics, I will share some of those pics here too.
The Baja Guy