Penn 50 VISW

Started by gatekeeper, April 18, 2021, 02:16:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

gatekeeper

Penn lists the stock drag as being 45lb max with freespool for these reels. I like the 70VIS for the extra 10lb max drag at 55lb. Can the 50VISW be changed through the bellville configuration to achieve a 55lb max drag with freespool, or at least get close at 50+lb? These are general purpose trolling reels that also see shark fishing. In the event I run into a big eye, big bluefin or monster mako, I'd like the extra performance if possible, but would rather keep the 50 size reel if it can be done without damaging the reel. Thanks

RowdyW

Shimming for more drag, more pressure on the pinion bearing, less pinion bearing life, probably lose free spool. Use more braid & chase with boat.  ;D         Rudy

Dominick

I big game fish and I can't hold 55lbs.  Why do you want that much drag?  Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

gatekeeper

Mostly just to have the capability. I fully agree, 50lb+ is a lot. With a good harness and proper technique, it's fully employable by someone in decent condition. Without a harness, I agree, 55lb is beyond most peoples ability, and if you can hold on to 55lb, you won't do so for very long. Guys fish 80lb gear stand up on long range trips all the time, (with line much heavier than 80lb) and do so successfully. I  am planning to run 80lb Momoi Diamond of Suffix Superior mono on my 50s, which both break at or slightly above 120lb, the Diamond being slightly stronger. If you encounter a real monster, once in a lifetime fish, I would just like to have the capability in the reel. I know I can just get 70s and have that, just at the cost of a slightly larger and heavier reel. That's all I am trying to save. if I can't, no big deal, I'll use 70s. Those opportunities don't come around often, and I want to be as prepared as I can be. I know it can be done with less, and I understand 99% of the fish I catch will never make use of that much capability. I understand not to over estimate my personal physical limitations and abilities. Just thinking along the lines of worst case scenario here and being prepared for it is all. Like a lot of us, maybe I'm overthinking it, but that's the fun part here.

boon

Quote from: Dominick on April 18, 2021, 04:27:48 AM
I big game fish and I can't hold 55lbs.  Why do you want that much drag?  Dominick

Why do people spend hundreds of dollars turning old Senators into reels that are objectively worse than a Makaira?

Because it can (maybe?) be done! That's half the fun, isn't it?