Penn 8500SS

Started by Donnyboat, April 23, 2021, 01:02:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Donnyboat

I brought 5 reels spinning reels for AU$50:00, the above reel was with this lot, with a full spool of 8 strand 50Lbs braid, the drag dog was not engaging, so I fully stripped the reel, although the internal area was quite clean & sand free, the area under the rotor, had quite a bit  of corrosion, including the two drag dogs, after servicing that area, & placing the reel back together.
     I found, as pulling line of the drag would increase very quickly till locking up, so I sent a picture of the drag washers as they came out to Elpascadour, Wayne, he was under the pump a bit so he took the drag washers out of his 750 reel & sead this is how they are so try it, quote-hex washer,delrin teflon, keyed, cf, hex,cf, keyed, so I done that & the reel now works a treat.
     As the schematics did not show much on this area of the reel, maybe someone else will get some value from this, thanks again Wayne, your a great reel mechanic, cheers Don.
Don, or donnyboat

El Pescador

Don,

Man, to be able to help in ANY way vs dumping my reels, I was unable to put back together, ziplock'd in bags sent to Fred, Sal - May God rest is soul, Bryan or Dominick, makes me feel involved!

I was at SFO waiting for our 5:50 AM flight to Seattle, bound for Minneapolis then Bismarck, ND, saw your email and thought, I think I can help you.

I pulled up the schematic on the Mysticparts.com site, here:

https://www.mysticparts.com/Assets/images/pennparts/schematics/850ss.pdf

Emailed it to you with these instructions...

And after viewing the schematic, it was easy to see!!!

From the bottom,

HEX Washer
Teflon - part # 56T is the white teflon washer
Key Washer
CF
Hex
CF
Keyed

DONE.  

the photos below are from Don, and the drag stack he put together.

What other projects need my help!!!! ;D

Wayne

Never let the skinny guys make the sandwiches!!  NEVER!!!!

Donnyboat

Thanks Wayne, I had a fare search, but could not find anything with such detail, I guess I am to thick, thanks again Wayne, cheers Don.
Don, or donnyboat

JasonGotaProblem

These reels really benefit from a drag upgrade. Plenty on the 'bay
Any machine is a smoke machine if you use it wrong enough.

Donnyboat

Yes thanks Jason, I have read up on the upgrade of the drag, not to sure if I will use it at all,  its working okay as is, cheers Don.
Don, or donnyboat