Running heavy

Started by AlasKen, April 25, 2021, 03:59:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

AlasKen

While I may be guilty of adding the Covid 19 myself, my boat has been steadily gaining weight over 10 years, which impacts fuel consumption.  Today I bit the bullet and took everything out, and I mean everything.  I moved it to the back of my old truck with a topper.  Filled it completely.  I will go through and carefully try and determine what I need and what is clutter.  Safety first will be my motto.

I have a 24' Tolman that I built in 2008 or 09.  I forget.  It has a 7' cuddy, a 7' cabin, and a 7' fish deck.  I couldn't believe stuff that was filling every little space.  Stuff I didn't need but seemed like a good idea at some time.  I found 3 pair of brand new needle nose that I forget about.  I found more life jackets than I could ever have persons on board.  Just a bunch of crap. 

The whole exercise started when I couldn't find my 5 pin flat to 7 blade adapter for trailer lights.  I thought I had a spare on the boat but couldn't find it, clutter  I then asked myself why use an adapter.  I rewired the trailer with a 7 blade connector.  I then added a 7 blade receptacle without wires to the trailer winch stand so I could store the connector when not in use.  Thought is this will keep the connector clean and dry.

I am guessing I will reduce weight and clutter by at least 300 lbs and maybe able to find something.  I am including a couple of photos of my project.

Start of the project.  The sad thing is I replaced this 2 years ago after it came unplugged on my son and drug about 100 miles.  I have no idea why I didn't change it out then.

New connector.  It has a red LED that lights up when you have a good connection.

Finished with storage connector.  The kit I got had both ends so I decided to put it to use.

Just a side shot of my home built boat.  24' x 8' with a DF115 Suzuki.  It is not a speed boat but will do 30 mph heavy (used to do 33 mph) and gets about 4 mpg when running 25 mph.  I get 4 mph, my son gets about 3 mpg.  That last 5 mph cost 1 mpg.

Cuttyhunker

My rule of thumb, for my old 25 Blackfin, if I didn't use it last season it's off, except for the safety stuff and most of the tools is the evaluation the gear included for the springtime launch.  Fishing tackle is more of a 2 year timeline as running out of food or beer on a trip, is certainly more tolerable than finding I'm rigging my last hook.  Every year I shed some weight from the hull residing with the other excess that now is growing in my garage and cellar.  Then there is the stuff gifted from the "Hey I got rid of the boat so you can have this stuff" pals, which loosely translates to "The wife is going to kill me if I don't dump this stuff on someone else ."  With the addition a few more bumpers or poly balls to the collection I could probably raft up a few aircraft carriers.  I find that boat crap can multiply with the insidiousness rods and reels.   
Doomed from childhood

ReelFishingProblems

Thanks for posting pictures of your boat. My father-in-law has been talking about building a boat for years. I  just checked out Tolman boat plans, and that might be the perfect project.

How was your experience building it?

Nick

AlasKen

Quote from: ReelFishingProblems on April 25, 2021, 01:15:47 PM
Thanks for posting pictures of your boat. My father-in-law has been talking about building a boat for years. I  just checked out Tolman boat plans, and that might be the perfect project.

How was your experience building it?

Nick

I enjoyed the process.  It took 2 Alaska winters.  For the most part I did it by myself.  I asked for an extra pair of hands for heavy stuff a few times.  You will find it is forgiving of woodworking precision due to using thickened epoxy and fiberglass.  If you want to find out more try the forum on fishyfish.com.  Depending on where you live there are a few businesses that will cut the plywood as a kit for the main hull.  It is a stable hull and can take rougher water than the crew.  My son and I accidentally got in a small craft advisory in Seward.  It was slow going to keep from flying off the backside of the waves but boat was safe and stable.  One drawback is being lightweight with a fairly large cabin it is blown around by wind a bit.  PM if you have questions.  My son is building one now.

Maxed Out

Ken, your boat looks very seaworthy. I have too much stuff in my boat also. Been thinking about doing same as you've done. It's taken me 14 years to accumulate and very seldom does anything come back off the boat. I guess it's a bad habit of mine.

I see your trailer winch is a 2speed. Mine stays in low gear and much easier to winch that last couple feet. I see yours is in high gear. Just thought I'd mention that in case you didn't know

Ted

We Must Never Forget Our Veterans....God Bless Them All !!

AlasKen

Quote from: Maxed Out on April 25, 2021, 06:33:37 PM
... It's taken me 14 years to accumulate and very seldom does anything come back off the boat. I guess it's a bad habit of mine.

I see your trailer winch is a 2speed. Mine stays in low gear and much easier to winch that last couple feet. I see yours is in high gear. Just thought I'd mention that in case you didn't know

Ted...

That's my problem.  A lot of "I might use that someday".  How much tackle do you really need?  How many duplicates?  I can fish 4 rods at a time.  Do I need 8 or more of the exact same rig?  At the most 5.  That still means 5 Butt bait setups, 5 butt jigs, 5 etc.  that is just for Butts.  Add in rock fish, lings, salmon and you still have a lot of tackle. 

It will be interesting how much I really get rid of, and how often I search for something I know I have before remembering I took it off the boat.

If nothing else it allows me to do a deep clean and wiring inspection.

David Hall

i tok am guilty of that.  i think I must have 100 pounds of lead onboard, spare canon balls and 1-1/2 to 3 pound trolling balls.  gear for rockfish, salmon, tuna all onboard.  along with so much crap I cant even get into the cabin. 
i think this os a project for another day I need to get my rudder reference transducer installed.  fix my windlass.

Ron Jones

Quote from: Maxed Out on April 25, 2021, 06:33:37 PM
Ken, your boat looks very seaworthy. I have too much stuff in my boat also. Been thinking about doing same as you've done. It's taken me 14 years to accumulate and very seldom does anything come back off the boat. I guess it's a bad habit of mine.

Ted
Hell I think I have stuff on your boat!

I always like Tolman's. There are always a couple at Port Townsend. I could never build one, S&G is not for me. I am pretty certain I'm building a small Pacific City dory this winter.

Good luck on the autumn cleaning.

The Man
Ronald Jones
To those who have gone to sea and returned and to those who have gone to sea and will never return
"

oc1

That a really nice looking boat Ken.  You should be proud.  I once dealt with www.bateau.com for plans and they made it a slick process.