Penn 49 and 149

Started by sharkman, April 25, 2021, 02:51:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sharkman

I have always liked both of theses reels and have few in my collection. Does anyone fish these reels and what type fish do you use them for. I have my 49s spooled up to troll behind kayak. Not sure what going to use 148 for. Has anyone ever used for bottom fishing.

akfish

The 49 is still a popular reel for salmon trolling up here, and some people use them for bottom fishing as well. The 149 has less drag and slower retrieve. Personally, I don't like how either balances on the rod, but I sell every rebuilt one I have in the shop.
Taku Reel Repair
Juneau, Alaska

Gfish

Never had either. But have thought seriously about getting one. I like that they are old school Penn, available, and have the Senator-like double rings on both sides. The 149 looks like it has some low-end power. Have yet to figure out what to do with an AR off function like the one on my Squidder. Got ideas, but never implement them when fishin...
Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!

AlasKen

Quote from: Gfish on April 25, 2021, 06:48:46 PM
... Have yet to figure out what to do with an AR off function like the one on my Squidder. Got ideas, but never implement them when fishin...

I also wonder the purpose.  My #10 has the feature and I am not sure what the purpose of reeling back would be. 

sharkman

I've been told they used the function to let out same amount of line by counting revolutions of the handle.

thorhammer

Don't know where you'd use it on a Mariner, but the 109 and 10 back-reel was favored by people drift fishing for fluke or flounder to keep in direct contact with bottom.

Greg- 149 only has inside rings. 49 has inner / outer.

These are sort of specialty reels- no, they don't balance worth a dang if you're fishing rod in hand all day, but are made for trolling wire line and lead core where you aren't typically needing hundreds of yards of line and one can just crank in without hand leveling. For same reason, they make good teaser and kite reels as well, so you can clear quickly with one hand if needed.

One of mine below, set up for kiting / teaser, with dacron, with a massive handle courtesy of Ted.

Cuttyhunker

I use the 49's for Stripers and Blues in Mass and Grouper, Spanish Mack's etc. trolling in Fla. with a 3.5 to 1 ratio faster than the 113H or 114H.  Good strong reels, once modified by Penn to the 49A, widened to take tuna off the cliffs in S. Africa, this was pre 114H and they did it just fine, fast enough for surface jigs and the guts to land the fish.  I usually tie of the (useless to me) anti reverse disconnect off with some twine to a cross post so guests don't accidentally get into knuckle buster mode.  Cheap to buy easy to maintain, I just add the carbontex drags.  They've survived generations.  The kids and younger folks on the docks are amazed, I show them one is a no numbers reel, at least 70 years old.  We get our share out there so I tell them it's not the arrows it's the Indian.
Doomed from childhood