Tiger wraps

Started by JasonGotaProblem, April 26, 2021, 03:34:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JasonGotaProblem

I'm strongly considering doing a tiger wrap on the rod I'm building for my polished 750SS. Sticking with the over-the-top theme for the aesthetics. I'm thinking a good 6-8" tiger wrap near the handle, and since I'm doing 3 double foot reducers and the rest singles, I was considering a small bit of tiger wrap between the feet on the doubles. But I may skip that last part depending on how it goes. Polished Fuji guides of course, sticking with a theme here.

I've been doing a fair bit of reading and video watching. One thing is certain: there's a lot of variation on how people do it.

So what's the best way? I know that's subjective. So what's your favorite way?

Like the colors I'm considering are gold and a metallic blue. So do I wanna do the way that does a black+gold+blue bottom layer, with 2 sacrificial threads and a black thread top layer, or blue and gold bottom layer with a blue and sacrificial top layer? Or some other combination?
Ease is a factor, since I'm still new at this. but quality of end result is a bigger factor. I know it's a multi step process. There's no rush on this one.
Any machine is a smoke machine if you use it wrong enough.

Swami805

The trick is the order the colors are laid down and you won't really know until you do it unless you can find some pictures online of someone who's done it. Lots of stuff on bloody decks. 
Do what you can with that you have where you are

steelfish

I will try a tigerwrap one day, not pretty soon, tho.

but keeping an eye on the tips, as Sheridan said, many times you dont know what you gonna get until its done.
The Baja Guy

ReelFishingProblems

Just did my first tiger wrap a little while ago.
I practiced on a swifter handle. Your thread color choices seem good, you can experiment with your top thread choice to see what works best.

I bought a 4-spool carriage for my hand wrapping station. It is important to maintain pretty close to equal tension.

Have fun with it.

Dominick

Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

JasonGotaProblem

That's sort of the fun, that there's no telling what it'll look like til its finished. And also that it's a more fluid aesthetic, where success does not rely on everything being perfectly even and consistent. I'm not the most precise dude on the block. So such a thing is appealing.

Good idea practicing on a swiffer handle. I may try that.

Dominick, I saw that one. In fact that was the first one I saw. Then i started seeing other approaches and wondered why each version is done the way it is.

oldmanjoe

Doc ski is one of the most experimenter on tiger wraps .    tps://www.google.com/search?q=doc+ski+tiger+wrap+up+youtube+channel&spell=1&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwjn7a-p35zwAhVkk-AKHdiHC2g

Get a dowel or two of the same size diameter  as the rod and try the different Technics  . There is threads that lay clockwise and some go counter clockwise on top .     Then their there is clear mono 30 - 60 pound  to experiment with on top for a deep look .    Man you are a journey now to the rabbit hole !!!
Grandpa`s words of wisdom......Joey that thing between your shoulders is not a hat rack.....    use it.....
A mind is like a parachute, it only work`s  when it is open.......
The power of Observation   , It`s all about the Details ..
 Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.   Alto Mare

JasonGotaProblem

Quote from: oldmanjoe on April 26, 2021, 08:45:10 PM
Doc ski is one of the most experimenter on tiger wraps .    tps://www.google.com/search?q=doc+ski+tiger+wrap+up+youtube+channel&spell=1&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwjn7a-p35zwAhVkk-AKHdiHC2g

Get a dowel or two of the same size diameter  as the rod and try the different Technics  . There is threads that lay clockwise and some go counter clockwise on top .     Then their there is clear mono 30 - 60 pound  to experiment with on top for a deep look .    Man you are a journey now to the rabbit hole !!!

Well now that i have other options besides wrapping by hand, the massive # of rotations required stops being so intimidating.

Speaking of which i gotta call you later. I think I figured out how to handle the non-smooth initial acceleration problem.

Jeri

I'd suggest getting a section of discarded rod and do some practice runs, give the dual aspect of your journey down the rabbit hole. First you wish to increase or perfect the performance of the rods, secondly the aesthetics. Shame to build a superb performing rod, that ends up looking less than desirable.

If there is one thing that I have learned from years of building rods, is practice or trial or test new ideas, before committing them to a finished product.

steelfish

Quote from: Jeri on April 27, 2021, 07:20:31 AM
If there is one thing that I have learned from years of building rods, is practice or trial or test new ideas, before committing them to a finished product.

words of the Wiseman.

I have a bunch of broken rods or just the bottom section of 2pc rods where I practice some color combinations, new wraps, etc before doing it on a rod from a friend.
on fleamarkers you can find broken rods for $1.00
The Baja Guy

steelfish

my lazy-Tiger    ;D ;D ;D

The Baja Guy

JasonGotaProblem

Quote from: steelfish on May 20, 2021, 05:13:18 PM
my lazy-Tiger    ;D ;D ;D

Is that the 2 string version? & Do you epoxy between layers?

steelfish

oh no no, thats too complicated LOL, when I say Lazy-tiger I mean LAZY

just get some variegated wrapping thread and voala ! depending on the tension of the thread you and make different patterns.

in my case I actually used two strings as you said, I used one string of variegated thread black/yellow and another string of Yellow, that inner yellow string made the effect more noticeable than using only the variegated string, but you can wrap just the variegated and check if you like the pattern you get.

it has 3 coats of epoxy for deeper effect and to protect the decal from normal boat rash.
The Baja Guy

JasonGotaProblem

So I have another idea. Might be a terrible one. But that's nothing new.

I wanna play with doing a double width tiger wrap, with a purpose. In the case of my rod I'm gonna do this on I wanna do blue and gold tiger stripes. But I wanna take it a step further, because moderation sucks. Gonna skip the 3d version in the name of not adding unnecessary weight (so why do anything decorative? Never said I was logical). I wanna do gold as the top layer, thereby allowing me to do a gradient with the blue. I wanna do 2 gold strands and 2 blue and as it progresses up the rod I'm gonna be swapping out the blue threads, progressing from dark blue to light as you go up the rod. Or vice versa, getting darker as you go up the rod might be the cooler option. In fact I think so.

As i read what I wrote above I'm not sure its very clear. Does this make any sense? I have a lovely mental image of the process and the result but im struggling to capture that in words.

steelfish

Quote from: JasonGotaPenn on May 24, 2021, 04:24:13 PM
So I have another idea. Might be a terrible one. But that's nothing new.

As i read what I wrote above I'm not sure its very clear. Does this make any sense? I have a lovely mental image of the process and the result but im struggling to capture that in words.

dont worry about if the rest of us get your idea, just go for it, show some pictures of the final result and then, explain us how you did it
The Baja Guy