A Different Reel Shop Focus

Started by foakes, April 27, 2021, 05:37:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

foakes

This is basically just a hobby for me.  Keeps me busy and productive.

Each year, I give away and trade far more than I ever sell.  Few folks understand this — (as my wife rolls her eyes and smiles).  But that always brings many times more in return — than a few dollars might.

There are many things in our life that are of much higher importance than reels, at least to me —

So, hopefully, everything in balance with a perspective on other life things that are truly more important — higher up the ladder.

Enjoyment of our hobbies in very important, though...

A mentor once shared with me — it is easier to be organized instead of disorganized — in anything we choose to do in life.

This will help eliminate frustration and time-wasting — which in turn reduce our quality of life.

Basically, whatever systems we set up HAVE to work for each of us — smoothly, quickly, and efficiently.

The system must work for us — we cannot afford to work for the system.

Best, Fred

The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

JasonGotaProblem

Fred, every time you post it just reminds me how disorganized I am by comparison. You're probably right, it likely is easier to be organized than disorganized. It's front end work instead of back end work.

Getting first into servicing reels and later into building rods, I've learned to be far more precise/detail oriented than I previously thought possible. And it has bled into other aspects of my life with beneficial results. Maybe better organization is coming, it just takes longer? I do have all my reel parts and tools in one box though, and make a point to put them back in that box when I'm finished with them. That way I know where they are when I need them again, and I've learned to label small parts that aren't immediately identifiable. Only took 34 years to figure all that out.
Any machine is a smoke machine if you use it wrong enough.

foakes

Randy Pauly of Vintage Offshore contacted me a couple of days ago — asking if I had any Newell clamps.  Said he had an old DAM Quick 275 2-Speed reel (one of my favorites, and a rare reel) to trade if I had any Newell clamps.

Told him I only had a couple — but I did have a box of new old stock Newell parts that he was welcome to.

Exchanged photos — made a trade — sent off that afternoon.

Randy also said that he was going to include some extra spinning reel goodies for me.

Today, the reel shows up — and there is a goodie all right — another DQ 275 2-Speed reel!!

Thanks Randy!

Another member contacted me yesterday — saying he had around 16 pounds of organized and numbered DAM Quick parts.  He also wanted to trade for some Penn reels.  We made a deal.

Trades work well when both parties get what they want.

I really appreciate our members as I transition into working primarily on vintage quality spinning reels like DQ, Penn, ABU/Zebco Cardinals, and Mitchell's.

Just wanted to give credit and appreciation to our members.

Best, Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

Wompus Cat

Fred ,
you need to be very very Carefull as you are boarder line on Having a MONOPOLY on Dam Stufff! ;D

If a Grass Hopper Carried a Shotgun then the Birds wouldn't MESS with Him

foakes

Quote from: Wompus Cat on May 08, 2021, 04:07:42 PM
Fred ,
you need to be very very Carefull as you are boarder line on Having a MONOPOLY on Dam Stufff! ;D

Yeah, but it's just a little niche that has been developed over 40 years, Henry —

Just trying to stay in my own lane — steady, controllable, and enjoyable.

With 150,000 new old stock DQ parts — and generally 400 or 500 complete reels in stock — I keep looking for others that might have some stuff to sell from time to time.  It is amazing how much some folks charge for just (1) DQ part — it takes my breath away.

That old saying —

"If I could buy you for what your worth — and sell you for what you think you are worth...I would be a millionaire overnight".

But we need to remember, it is just reel parts.

Glad to have the parts for myself — and just as important, for others who appreciate these top quality DQ reels.

Best, Fred

--------

Fred O.

Jenx

Fred,

I have a question for you since you seem to be the guy to talk to about vintage spinning reels.

In recent years I have fallin' in love with the old Penn spinners. Mainly the smaller sizes like the 720. I love the minimal build, and their ability to fish harsh saltwater conditions with little maintenance.

But as far as vintage spinners go, Penn is the only brand I have used.

What I would like to know is if there are any other brands of spinning reels, from the 60's and 70's, that are just as durable in harsh surf conditions as the old Penn Greenies and Z series reels?

Cheers!

foakes

The small Penns from the 70's are rugged, hard-working, and attractive reels, Jenx —

To me, this group includes the 720, 722 green, blue, and bronzes — plus the 716, 714, 712 in both the old greenies as well as the black Z's.

Other comparable quality reels would be, IMO —

ABU/Cardinal 3's and C3's with the lower rear fulcrum brake drag knobs.

DAM Quick — 265, 110, 110N, 1000, 1001, 220, 221, 1202, 1400, 1401.

Mitchell 308, 408.

Also to be considered, and some of my favorites —

Shakespeare 2052, 2062, and Sigma 2201-025 Whisker Titan

Daiwa Mini-Mite, Mini-Spin, 500C, 700C, 1000C, 70X, 70RL, 7250RLA

Eagle Claw 1225

There are of course others that don't come immediately to mind — but key attributes of most of these reels are:

Aluminum bodies and rotors, minimum or no plastic parts, small, tough, capable.

While the best of these will have a steel worm drive pinion supported at the front and rear — coupled with bronze or brass mains — and a main support bearing —- there are some of the others that will also hold up nearly as well, if not equally durable.  

The basic thought is that these reels are intended to be fished within their engineered range — if done so, and serviced every couple of years — they will all be winners, IMO.

Problems always occur when the gears are made of aluminum, pot metal, zinc, etc.  

And beware of reels with cheap chromed parts, plastic Christmas ornament exterior parts, shiny decals, and 4 to 12 bearings.  These manufacturers are substituting Marketing for Engineering.

Many of the 70's & early 80's Japanese spinners are also of decent quality.  Problem with any reels in this category — is no parts availability — unless you have a donor reel to cannibalize.

Best, Fred

--------

Fred O.

Jenx

That is a lot of info. Thank you Fred.

I really like the look of the Penn 720/722 reels that come in blue, bronze, and teal, but that Shakespeare 2052/2062 is a handsome looking reel as well. I will have to keep my eyes out for one of those.

I occasionally run across older (non Penn) spinners on OfferUp and Craigslist, but I have never before bought one. Now that I have your list as a guide maybe I will snag one up one of these days to tinker on.

Thanks again for the info. It's much appreciated.

dougrm3

Fred,
Wanted to add my thank you for taking the time to post your thoughts, organization and reel knowledge.  You have inspired me to reorganize my limited collection of reels.  I love the pegboard display for your reels.  I have mine in boxes and have to unpack when looking for a vintage reel to fish.  I sometimes find a reel in a box that I forgot that was in my collection.  I'm going to follow your pegboard example for my reels.  Again thank you!  Love this forum!

reelrepair123

all i can say is , FRED,  you are the man.  not only your inventory, organization, quanity of reels and parts, it's your generosity, kindness, thoughtfulness, companship, and being a great husband that makes you a fantastic person and friend, i'm proud to have made your acquaitence , had some trades and dealings with you,  your one of a kind, thank you for letting me into your life, take care my friend.    harryk