408 Drive Gear Question

Started by Balvar24, March 21, 2023, 02:35:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Balvar24

Anyone know how the bronze drive gear is attached to the Steel shaft on a 408?  I'm guessing it's either brazed or pressed.  How could you ever separate them?

foakes

What is your reason for wanting to separate them?

Best, Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

Balvar24

Quote from: foakes on March 21, 2023, 05:01:37 PMWhat is your reason for wanting to separate them?

Best, Fred

Got an old one that the teeth are shot.  Don't know if someone used the wrong grease or what, but they were disintegrated when I got the reel. I've got another one (from a 908, actually) that someone broke a couple AR teeth off the shaft.

Thought I might try to make one from two, just for fun.  Not the most productive of pursuits.

foakes

Understand...

Wish you luck.

The key will be to remove the steel shaft without losing any of the exact material measurements —- and then getting the drive axle exactly aligned and true to the gear.

Let us know how you fare.

Above my pay grade.

Hat is off to you!

Best, Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

Balvar24

I should probably just stop buying other people's junk.