Awa’awa | Hawaiian tarpon | Elops hawaiensis

Started by wailua boy, April 29, 2021, 12:56:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

wailua boy

oc1

oldmanjoe

Grandpa`s words of wisdom......Joey that thing between your shoulders is not a hat rack.....    use it.....
A mind is like a parachute, it only work`s  when it is open.......
The power of Observation   , It`s all about the Details ..
 Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.   Alto Mare

JasonGotaProblem

Any machine is a smoke machine if you use it wrong enough.

jurelometer

Nice catch!

For you USA East Coasters: This particular species of ladyfish will get over a meter long.    These are called Giant Herrring in Australia. A fabulous gamefish on light tackle or fly.  I remember my first one like it was yesterday.  Took me into the backing in a heartbeat.

Even the smaller ladyfish we get down in Baja are pretty cool. More than just a bait source.

-J

Bryan Young

That's a great fish for fish cake...but you need to catch a few to make it worth the effort.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

JasonGotaProblem

Definitely more than just a bait source. They're quite a fun fight. They run fast and jump a lot. We call them the poor mans tarpon. My largest here in FL was 32". I find them most easily in channels with fast currents, where they tend to be hunting near the surface so I target them with free lined shrimp that stay at the surface due to those high currents.

Phrased differently, they are ALSO great for shark bait.

I didn't know people ate them though. I always figured they were too bloody/bony.

Gfish

Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!

JasonGotaProblem

Quote from: Gfish on April 29, 2021, 08:13:00 PM
Ain't got one yet. What and where?
Come to florida and give me a ring, I'll find you a ladyfish.

Benni3

wailua boy

Quote from: Gfish on April 29, 2021, 08:13:00 PM
Ain't got one yet. What and where?
Yeah, they aren't a real common catch in Hawaii but I picked him up while dunking a half akule for ulua/omilu off a sand beach. Our state record is 22lbs.