9m levelwind hanging up

Started by quabbin boy 62, April 29, 2021, 10:39:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

quabbin boy 62

just found a solution to a problem partially caused by me..... the levelwind on one of my penn 9m reels was hanging up in random spots on the worm (new worm, guide, pawl and pawl screw) everything LOOKED clean, but after reading a couple of posts about this situation, i pulled it apart and scrubbed the worm with wd-40 and a toothbrush. lo and behold, there's a couple of strips of fibers. they came from the qtips and paper towels i've used to clean these parts, until now. looked inside the barrel of the worm guide, and there's more fibers and a small burr at the edge of the threads for the pawl screw. all i had to do to fix this was to roll up a piece of 400 emery cloth, smooth out the inside of the barrell, and clean ALL these parts with wd-40, a toothbrush, and a toothpick, oiled them up with synthetic reel oil, and..... no more problem (and no more qtips and paper towels). thanks for the help, folks   chuck

Mic

Don't ch'a just love a happy ending ~!

I still use paper towels, just not the kind your wife is gonna get off the shelf at the grocery store. But, the toothpick and toothbrush are always present.

I'll have to pay better attention to lent leavings from paper towels 

Thanks Chuck ~!

Mic

Gfish

I know, huh. I went to a toothpick to clean-out the worm grooves. Works good on gear teeth too, but tedious. A tiny jewlers file will get them burrs.
Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!

quabbin boy 62

where can i get jeweler's files? i never thought of that

quabbin boy 62

as a footnote to all this, i pulled the levelwinds from 4 of the 10 reels of this type that i have. besides fiber and lint, this seems to stem from a: using grease on the worm and b: rods and reels riding in an open boat on the 4 mile long dirt road to gate 8 at quabbin reservoir. cleaned them all and relubed with reel oil, they all will be in reel covers in transit from now on. funny how just a little stuff caught in grease on a part can cause so much trouble. time to go fishin.  gone :)

Gfish

Quote from: quabbin boy 62 on April 29, 2021, 11:22:12 PM
where can i get jeweler's files? i never thought of that

Good question. I inherited mine and haven't looked yet for new ones. Came ina little case of about 10 diffrent types.
Seems like an easy fix for LW's and there's prolly alota non-functioning ones for sale cause of that issue.
Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!

quabbin boy 62

i found a source for them at mcmaster and carr, they are an industrial supply company that sells just about everthing.

Brewcrafter

If you do it often enough those GUM brand tooth flossers are good for hitting those tiny spots.  Think really small pipe cleaner with a handle.  Of course I'm old enough that a lot of the forum folks are probably thinking "What the heck is a pipe cleaner?" - john