Challenging conditions for finesse fishing.

Started by the rockfish ninja, April 30, 2021, 03:11:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

the rockfish ninja

I had been aching to get out on the water and drift the reefs for things to fill the freezer, so regardless of the 4-5ft swell, winds, and a strong ripping current from the big tides right now, I got out on a Half moon bay charter. On top of that I made the cavalier decision to forego a backup standard rockfish rig, and only went out with one slow pitch rig and a bunch of jigs.

I did manage to scratch up a limit, catch & release a handful of shaker Lingcod, and my jigging rewarded me with the biggest rockfish on the boat, but that was hard work under those conditions. Last time I'll limit my options like that, but at least I got to try just about every jig in my bag. ;D

7 lb Vermillion

Dom, my gear:

-Yamaga blanks slow pitch rod
-Accurate Valiant 500n reel
-Jigging master UFO jig

Deadly Sebastes assassin.

oldmanjoe

Grandpa`s words of wisdom......Joey that thing between your shoulders is not a hat rack.....    use it.....
A mind is like a parachute, it only work`s  when it is open.......
The power of Observation   , It`s all about the Details ..
 Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.   Alto Mare

El Pescador

TONY!!!

Great fishing day given the tough sea conditions!!!

The way I see it is...   FISH TACO TUESDAY at your home,

Please PM me your address!!!!   I'll bring the Cerveza!!!

Nice Job Buddy Boy!!!!

Wayne
Never let the skinny guys make the sandwiches!!  NEVER!!!!

thorhammer

Thats a nice pig, T!!!   one rod.....what????????? :)

Bryan Young

That's one nice Red.  Day on the water looks pretty good too.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

Gfish

Nice! Lunker rockfish.
In past years I've had several good Summer trips outta Monterey on the "Checkmate". We got some big'uns using Sandabs as live bait. Fun to catch the bait first and Sandabs are great eating if you get a big enough one. Kid got a small Halibut and I got a Salmon under the boat on a jig(yeah, illegal to keep, but fun to hook in shallow water).
Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!

Dominick

Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

steelfish

nice fish amigo, congrats for the biggest on the boat, so, after all  Slowpitch technique works, isnt it?

btw, thats some serious rod you have there.

The Baja Guy

Gfish

Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!

the rockfish ninja

Quote from: Gfish on April 30, 2021, 08:19:29 PM
Good bottom finesse fishing! How deep?

Different depths, 75ft to 200ft.
We had to bop around all day looking for productive reefs, had to work for our limits, and it slowed me down a little cause I had to swap out different jig weights & shapes to get enough vertical time.

Still it was a good challenge, I learned some things, and I'll be a better jig angler from the efforts.

Ron Jones

Looks like fun. Sea state 3 is always a wild ride!
The Man
Ronald Jones
To those who have gone to sea and returned and to those who have gone to sea and will never return
"

the rockfish ninja

Quote from: Ron Jones on May 31, 2021, 03:40:17 AM
Looks like fun. Sea state 3 is always a wild ride!
The Man

I had to look that one up, but it was actually #4 from what I read, which I've been in worse, just not trying to present an artificial though.