Main Menu

Hook Sizes

Started by Bill B, May 01, 2021, 02:10:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bill B

So I have a box of assorted hooks in the shop.  Hooks that had been used, cut off and dumped into the box, loose hooks at the bottom of the tackle box, hooks retrieved from someone else's snag, well you get the picture....just a bunch of miscellaneous hooks with no way to identify them.  A search through the inter web yielded a useful chart that gives an actual measurement of the hook gap.  I will admit the chart stops at 3/0, but the measurements of the 0/0 series of hooks is pretty straight forward increasing 2 mm for each size. 

Here is the link. http://fishing4everybody.com/r7.html

And here is a picture of the graph......Bill

It may not be very productive,
but it's sure going to be interesting!

Cuttyhunker

Here's the VMC Hook replacement guide
Doomed from childhood

Gfish

Hook sizes, good. There's whole buncha styles, too. Will check it out and see if there's something worth referencing.

FishingBooker.com  Fishing Hooks 101, Parts, Sizes, Types and More. Still don't know how to post a "tap on it" reference...
Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!

Bill B

Quote from: Cuttyhunker on May 01, 2021, 08:51:42 PM
Here's the VMC Hook replacement guide

Very valuable information, thank you....Bill
It may not be very productive,
but it's sure going to be interesting!

philaroman

KIRBED vs. REVERSED...  discuss  ;D

oc1

They are both offset; just in different directions.  Offset hooks are thought to hook-up more easily.  I say they hook-up better from one side, but cannot hook-up better from both sides.  I don't like them because the offset weakens the hook and makes it want to spin when pulled through the water.

quabbin boy 62

thanks, guys this will save a lot of time taking hooks off and comparing them to a chart

philaroman

Quote from: philaroman on May 02, 2021, 01:53:37 AM
KIRBED vs. REVERSED...  discuss  ;D

Quote from: oc1 on May 02, 2021, 06:49:43 AM
They are both offset; just in different directions.  Offset hooks are thought to hook-up more easily.  I say they hook-up better from one side, but cannot hook-up better from both sides.  I don't like them because the offset weakens the hook and makes it want to spin when pulled through the water.

I was too lazy to start a proper rant & was tryin' to get an "offset guy" to do it for me...
NOT, an "inline guy" to shut it down -- thanks for makin' me do my own work, ye non-soaker  :P

point being, I DO like offset!  vastly superior for stationary/suspended bait & lighter leaders
(when minimal strength loss & tracking true are not relevant), because of the way the hook rotates inside the mouth, during hook-set

on the rare occasion that direction of offset actually matters, I WANT BOTH OPTIONS!!!
w/ the modern "offset -- customer not need know which way" descriptor, HOW DO I RE-SUPPLY???
when/why were old kirbed/reversed designations abandoned?  ...rant aborted

incidentally, for ye cast/retrieve guys, a two-hook lure or tandem rig w/ 1kirbed+1reversed,
can still track true overall, without rolling, but w/ a little desired erratic action

oc1

Sorry Phil.  I didn't know.