Brewcrafters 113H Family - How deep is the rabbit hole?

Started by Brewcrafter, September 05, 2020, 06:49:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brewcrafter

I recently showed how I did side plate modifications on my recent 113H build, but promised to also show the finished result.  Here is the entire group.

I am somewhat partial to the "external drag" series, circa 1970's, for no particular reason but I do like the sailfish side plates.  I've never done maintenance without a complete teardown so I can't claim that the "external accessible drag" is any kind of blessing but I like it anyway.
The "stock" appearing 113H in the back was my Dad's "light" rock cod setup from Morro Bay.  Today it pretty much is a troller here off SoCal.  Features a CF 5 stack and that is it - with the stock posts and such even that is probably pushing it.  In 2015 I was absolutely PUNISHED by a 7 foot Mako off San Onofre that was dorsal hooked by a Rapala Magnum on the troll when the reel was still factory.  The one in the middle is a T4N "Yellowtail Special" conversion that I built after finding this forum and being inspired reading the adventures of Dominick's "Tank".  I could have bought a really nice modern 2-speed for what I have tied up in it; pretty much the only Penn parts on it are the side plates, handle and rings.  Had a blast with it on my 8 day last year.  Then while suffering from Covid Craziness this year I see a post from Randy at Vintage Tackle about "Extra Narrow" kits.  Hmmmmm.  :D  Hooked me!  Since I love my T4N I should love an XN even more, right?  Just the thing for fishing the islands down here!  And when I mention to Randy that I am going to need to source an era-correct base reel with a white handle to match the set - he says "no problem, I got you covered" and  sends one that is so nice I "almost" feel guilty modifying it.  And of course the only stock parts left on it are the ones you can see. 
At this point you would think I have all my Covid Cabin Fever issues worked out, but then lo and behold on last week's Zoom gathering Hardy Boy goes and has to show me a Really Sweet narrowed 114H...Hmmmm...I don't know what I would do with one but I do have a couple of stock 6/0 on the shelf.... ;D

Tiddlerbasher

Rancanfish

Those YTS and XN's are the cats meow.  The rabbit hole has left me with a bunch of parts I bought and then went a different direction.

Go ahead and track down a narrow 6/0 too I say!
I woke today and suddenly nothing happened.

mo65

~YOU CAN TUNA GEETAR...BUT YOU CAN'T TUNA FEESH~

Rocket Dog

Nice collection. I have the same problem and just picked up a nice 3/0 and 6/0 with accurate frames to add to my 4/0s

Donnyboat

Hi John, nice 4/0s & a great story, if you have a couple of 6/0s on the shelf, why not do one of them up, they are very strong reels, I fish with one all the time, its nice to have that extra line when you need it, cheers Don.
Don, or donnyboat

JoseCuervo

Quote from: Tiddlerbasher on September 05, 2020, 08:34:18 AM
Very nice - Oh the rabbit hole is bottomless ;D

No kidding.

I will use the single lug for a safety line, but would rather no lugs. Those plugs / blank offs are hard to come by.

Mastr_toolmkr

Hi,
I recently purchased a 113H Yellowtail Special. When I purchase the this reel I could see that it was in great shape and that it had some nice aftermarket part enhancements. I was surprised when I disassembled it to service it prior to putting up for sale. In addition to a stainless steel gear sleeve, 4.1:1  main and pinion gears and a stainless steel dual dog anti reverse system I found a specialize drag stack like no other I have ever seen. Even though the carbon fiber washer were still in great shape I searched the internet to find some replacement drag washers for the future that I possibly could include in the sale. However I came up totally empty in my search. Do you know of a source for these specialized drag washers ? I have included some photos of this project.
Thank You,
Fred       

RowdyW

That looks like a drag setup that was made for a time from Three se7ens (Adam), one of our vendors from Georgia. We haven't heard much from him the last couple of years.  It was a sideline for him but I guess his regular job is taking to much of his time.      Rudy      

Rocket Dog

Quote from: Mastr_toolmkr on May 01, 2021, 06:08:35 PM
Hi,
I recently purchased a 113H Yellowtail Special. When I purchase the this reel I could see that it was in great shape and that it had some nice aftermarket part enhancements. I was surprised when I disassembled it to service it prior to putting up for sale. In addition to a stainless steel gear sleeve, 4.1:1  main and pinion gears and a stainless steel dual dog anti reverse system I found a specialize drag stack like no other I have ever seen. Even though the carbon fiber washer were still in great shape I searched the internet to find some replacement drag washers for the future that I possibly could include in the sale. However I came up totally empty in my search. Do you know of a source for these specialized drag washers ? I have included some photos of this project.
Thank You,
Fred       

Thank is a score for sure. I have been wanting a 7Seas drag insert, just joined the board a little too late to get any.

Swami805

So you're going to sell it?  Nice reel, I'd bet it would go quick on here.
Do what you can with that you have where you are

CooldadE

I would rather be judged by 12 than carried by 6...