Need Help Identifying Part Number Of Garcia Conolon Rod

Started by Walleye Guy, September 26, 2023, 12:43:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Walleye Guy

Sorry for my delayed response, I was away from email all weekend.  I think I'm pretty much sold on X145-D.  This morning after looking over the pictures it occurred to me that it also might be a 9 (see attached picture from the 2159A rod).  I'm leaning towards 6 or 9 rather than 2 for the first digit.  However, the top end of the unknown first digit is above the sticker tear line so if it was a 9 I think I'd probably be able to see the start of the right half of the 9.  As such, a 6 seems to be likely.

Walleye Guy

By dumb luck the 2552-D rod that I mentioned in my original post (the rod just like mine except for color and it has one less guide) is on Ebay right now.  Interestingly if you look at the close-up of the decal it appears that the notch cut out of the lower left corner (immediately below the G in Garcia) is supposed to be missing and now that I look closely at my rod I can see that notch too.  I thought that entire chuck of my decal had been torn off but now it looks like only a small portion is missing. 

Here is the link:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/175935214079?hash=item28f68e51ff:g:RBsAAOSwDr1lGeeM

Walleye Guy

I intended to post this picture in my above response but it didn't work.  Sorry!

Walleye Guy

Update: just in case any of you are still following this, I may have identified the rod.  Over the weekend I was looking through an old Garcia tackle catalog and may have stumbled across an ad that showed my rod. 

See attached image and towards the bottom you'll see #2145.  This rod has the same specs as mine, same color and same "decorative diamond wrap" but mine has six reinforced guides plus a tungsten tip top whereas the catalog says five reinforced guides plus tungsten tiptop.

What do you guys think?  Is it possible that Garcia revised the number of guides at some point and it used to have five and now has six or use to have six and now has five...but they didn't change the rod number? 

Thanks in advance and I hope everyone had a safe and happy Thanksgiving.

Walleye Guy

Bump...

Can any Conolon rod experts tell me if it was standard practice back in those days to revise the features of a rod (in this case the number of guides) but keep the same rod number?

Walleye Guy

Bump...

Can any Conolon rod experts tell me if it was standard practice back in those days to revise the features of a rod (in this case the number of guides) but keep the same rod number?