Epoxy art

Started by JasonGotaProblem, May 03, 2021, 02:20:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

JasonGotaProblem

I had a great/terrible idea. As such I'll try it on a dowel rod first but my ideas tend to get better when I bounce them around here first. I wanna make a black hole in epoxy on my black hole rod. I know it's the company name and the Suzuki special is far from their flagship rod, but dang it it sounds cool. My astrophysics background makes this even more appealing. The concept won't be too far off from marbling, just more directed less random.

I figure the existing flat black is a good space background. Then I'll put down a coat of epoxy with some judiciously applied glitter stars mixed in, then a bit of epoxy with maybe some silver pigment with a dollop of yellow in the middle that I'll drag out in a swirl pattern. After that dries I'll put down a dot of black in the middle then maybe a very thin wisp of a white but that's hard to describe how im doing it and I might leave it out entirely Then the black hole USA logo next to that of course.

My concern is that this blank is very narrow. It's a very small canvas.

Thoughts? Does this sound feasible?
Any machine is a smoke machine if you use it wrong enough.

philaroman

maybe, build your layered image in reverse order on some clear synthetic
(better modern version of celluloid?), then transfer to rod

also, maybe go split-grip & put your art on fattest bottom part
best place for extra-heavy final clearcoat to preserve art AND blank action

JasonGotaProblem

Quote from: philaroman on May 03, 2021, 02:33:51 AM
also, maybe go split-grip & put your art on fattest bottom part
best place for extra-heavy final clearcoat to preserve art AND blank action
That ship has sailed. Full length cork is already epoxied in place.

Interesting idea about building the image in reverse.

I also thought about going lazy with some hubble nebula shot that I'd scale down cut out and epoxy on. I kick around a lot of ideas.

oldmanjoe

This is what i want to add to a stick some day .   As you say the hard part is to keep it to scale on a small diameter stick. 
Grandpa`s words of wisdom......Joey that thing between your shoulders is not a hat rack.....    use it.....
A mind is like a parachute, it only work`s  when it is open.......
The power of Observation   , It`s all about the Details ..
 Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.   Alto Mare

JasonGotaProblem

Quote from: oldmanjoe on May 03, 2021, 01:38:26 PM
This is what i want to add to a stick some day .   As you say the hard part is to keep it to scale on a small diameter stick. 
I'm thinking about an epoxy version of a decoupage type application, perhaps with one of these below. Yes i know they are artist renderings not hubble pics like I mentioned above. The idea of making my own is very appealing but a quality end result is also appealing.

Being a 2 piece rod, I can build the rest of it and get it functional, then come back and do this.

And we are talking about like maybe 6" of the blank above the grip. If that. I would hope that would not mess with the action too much.

Dominick

I can't wait for the test results and the finished product.  Keep it going.  Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

philaroman

at the rate it's going, Jason's gonna end up w/ a
bas-relief cameo of the wife, in mother of pearl 

JasonGotaProblem

Quote from: philaroman on May 03, 2021, 03:56:13 PM
at the rate it's going, Jason's gonna end up w/ a
bas-relief cameo of the wife, in mother of pearl  
Finally, a project she'd appreciate.

I'm thinking this would be the pic if I don't do it manually, rotated a bit so the galactic plane is flat along the rod:

JasonGotaProblem

Also couldn't I just paint it in model paint, wait for it to dry, then epoxy over it? I know people get that stuff and pour out the solvent to use the pigment in epoxy, so.i know there's something there.

How does the classic testors model paint hold up in the sun?

gstours

Yes you are on to something, :D.   After a day of sitting many enamel paints generally will settle, the pigment much like yeast to ales .   I've used the pigment In marbling rods.   It's much more available and less costly than tube pigments.   Pouring off the clearer binder allows you to get some thicker stuff.   It works quite well.  But this is using rod finish as the medium to dilute the pigment.  You can do the same with adhesive types of epoxies,  the 5 minute types are generally thicker and yellow tinted so acetone or more paint should be used to thin To brushing consistency.
   The longer cure epoxies are seemingly thinner before mixing pigment,  butt still expect longer drying time than without other solvents added.
  It's fun to be creative,  have fun and show us what happened. :)

JasonGotaProblem

I decided to go with a hubble pic. My hand is not steady enough to produce anything worthwhile on a canvas that narrow. I printed some black hole renderings as well, but again due to the small space none looked very good. I did 5 minute epoxy behind the photo and flex coat over it. The edges lifted a bit and that's really unfortunate. If i do this again I'd wrap it super tight with thread or mono while drying and leave it a lot longer before coating. I might even consider wrapping with mono and epoxying right over it. But other than that I'm really happy with the end result. The video doesnt show the guides but it's just a gold band on each.

Given that it's 5min epoxy behind, i may try warming it up, piping more epoxy into the gap, and then wrapping super tight and see if it holds.

Swami805

You can use scotch tape or the like over it to hold the corners down, just make sure to burnish the bubbles out as you're laying it down. Works fine with flexcoat
Do what you can with that you have where you are

JasonGotaProblem

Quote from: Swami805 on May 20, 2021, 02:40:50 PM
You can use scotch tape or the like over it to hold the corners down, just make sure to burnish the bubbles out as you're laying it down. Works fine with flexcoat
Are you saying I could have just taped it down and epoxied over the tape? God dang it that woulda been super easy.

steelfish

what kind of print / decal paper did you used?

The Baja Guy

JasonGotaProblem

Quote from: steelfish on May 20, 2021, 03:57:13 PM
what kind of print / decal paper did you used?

Regular photo paper. $0.39 print at Walgreens. If I were to do it again I'd use regular printer paper.