Quick 1000 reel

Started by stevenkbennett, May 05, 2021, 05:41:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

stevenkbennett

I bought a quick 1000 reel 03-17-79 as part of an ultra light combo for trout fishing. After 42 years of heavy use the bail will no longer return to the retrieval position. Without disassembling I suspect the brake ring has worn out. I need part number 910 4148 brake ring. Is there one available anywhere or any suggestions for repairing the old one. No other Reel I have tested preformed to the quick 1000 standards. Thank you

PacRat

I'm not sure what you mean by 'brake ring'...are you talking about the drag? If your bail is not returning to retrieve it is either dirty, mis-adjusted, or the spring is fatigued. You will likely need to disassemble to properly diagnose it. Fred will be along soon with solid advice. Do whatever Fred says and you will be golden.
Goodluck
-Mike

foakes

Welcome aboard, Steve —

The DAM Quick 1000/1001 are fantastic and well made — very tiny Microlite reels.

For those who may not know — the brake ring failure is a common issue.

They only last 40 years, until they become brittle and come off.  I know that is how long they last, since I have an envelope of around 100 — they were not brittle 3 years ago — but they are now.

It is a tiny ring of latex — that goes onto the inside tongue of the external stop lever.

This trips the bail back into a closed position.

Just go down to your local medical supply house — or a good hobby shop — and get a piece of 1/8" latex tubing.

Cut a small piece off and install it where shown on the photo.

This will likely make you good to go.

Let us know either way of your efforts.

Glad to help further with any issues or parts.

Best, Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

Wompus Cat

That's just what I use Fred.
On the Edge of the Trip Levers on many of the Dams . Same hose as fits my Weed Eaters Carb to Tank .
Quiets down the loud Clunk when the Bail Returns . I use a pair of Snap Ring Pliers to stretch them to fit over then a tad of Super Glue just in case but never had one slip off yet . .

Something I have learned over the years on Storing  neoprene ,teflon ,various plastic bushings, Rubber Gaskets, and the like  is to periodically spray them with 3M wet Type spray silicone and of course try and keep them in a cool dark place .
I have some shifter bushings that are at least 45 years old and still pliable. Door seals ,Dashes etc are gonners here in Texas in a few years and even quicker if you use Armor All .
I have one 1974 with original vinyl Dash,Door Seals etc still soft as a Babby's Behind because I used the Silicone Spray on them .
If a Grass Hopper Carried a Shotgun then the Birds wouldn't MESS with Him

Midway Tommy

I prefer clear vinyl tubing. It's a little thicker walled, heavier and will most likely last longer. I make a few extras while I'm at it.

You can see the small clear tube piece in the lower right hand corner.

Here the tube is installed on the trip lever.

Here the trip lever is installed in the rotor.

Here the rotor's ready to install onto the body.

Love those open face spinning reels! (Especially ABU & ABU/Zebco Cardinals)

Tommy D (ORCA), NE

Favorite Activity? ............... In our boat fishing
RELAXING w/ MY BEST FRIEND (My wife Bonnie)