Mono Choice

Started by Scattergun2570, May 06, 2021, 09:18:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Scattergun2570

I have a Newell 229 loaded up with Berkley Big Game Trilene. I use it for surfcasting and casting off docks and piers..which require a pretty healthy cast. I am looking for some line suggestions,want to try something else,and something that is available in a bright color.

RowdyW

If you are satisfied with Berkley mono you could try Berkley ProSpec Premium Mono. It comes in fluorescent yellow & ocean blue. It's available in 20-60 lb. Ande Back Country mono is good too. it's available in slate blue & envy green. If you have a Bass Pro Shops or Cabelas near you check out all they have available.        Rudy

thorhammer

I use both of what Rudy said extensively on my salt gear. Suffix is also good one- a little bit more limp IMO. Big Game and Ande are great line- strong for their rating and abrasion resistant, but wont win any distance competitions. I have Suffix high vis red on my 220. Stren hi vis gold goes up to 20lb these days, and casts well also.

Cor

I have used Suffix XL Strong for the past 15 years with excellent results.   I normally use 0.5  or 0.55 mm.  I have never been able to figure out why they don't market the same lines throughout the world.    What I have seen is that USA lines are generally thicker for the strength rating, maybe its a abrasion thing or just marketing.
You can see, not on the US website   https://www.rapala.com/sufix/monofilament/
South African  website     not to be found   LOL
Cornelis

Bryan Young

I'll be trying SoftSteel's mono https://softsteelusa.com/products/super-ht-premium-monofilament this year.  Haven't gone out yet, but that is the plan when I do get out.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

RowdyW

Bryan, soft steel seems to only come in clear. Scattergun is looking for hi-vis colors.  ;)

mo65

If hi-vis is your game...try Slime Line. We've been using this stuff for catfishing. It casts well and is tougher than a Waffle House steak. 8)

https://catchthefever.com/slime
~YOU CAN TUNA GEETAR...BUT YOU CAN'T TUNA FEESH~

SoCalAngler

You didn't say the pound test that you're looking for but  Izorline XXX comes in a high Vis yellow up to 20 lb test. I use a lot of the XXX on my fishing gear but have never used the high Vis line.

Scattergun2570

Quote from: SoCalAngler on May 06, 2021, 06:09:25 PM
You didn't say the pound test that you're looking for but  Izorline XXX comes in a high Vis yellow up to 20 lb test. I use a lot of the XXX on my fishing gear but have never used the high Vis line.
It's loaded with 20lb..I will look at the Izorline.

Scattergun2570

Quote from: RowdyW on May 06, 2021, 09:42:05 AM
If you are satisfied with Berkley mono you could try Berkley ProSpec Premium Mono. It comes in fluorescent yellow & ocean blue. It's available in 20-60 lb. Ande Back Country mono is good too. it's available in slate blue & envy green. If you have a Bass Pro Shops or Cabelas near you check out all they have available.        Rudy

I was looking at the Pro Spec online a few nights ago,heard good things,,but I don't know how each one is different than the BG Trilene

Scattergun2570

Just to be clear,are you talking about Pro Spec Chrome? If it's that stuff,it looks like the thinnest it comes in is 20lb

thorhammer

Chrome is different, and also comes in orange. Strong as crap. I use it grouper fishing and could barely break 50lb when it hung.

philaroman

does Maxima still have a good rep.? 
I liked that, decades ago

RowdyW

Quote from: Scattergun2570 on May 07, 2021, 09:01:37 AM
If you are satisfied with Berkley mono you could try Berkley ProSpec Premium Mono. It comes in fluorescent yellow & ocean blue. It's available in 20-60 lb. Ande Back Country mono is good too. it's available in slate blue & envy green. If you have a Bass Pro Shops or Cabelas near you check out all they have available.        Rudy

Just to be clear,are you talking about Pro Spec Chrome? If it's that stuff,it looks like the thinnest it comes in is 20lb
Chrome is thicker and a little stiffer than regular Pro Spec which is thinner & limper when you compare the same weight test line. Regular Pro Spec is better for casting & Chrome is better for trolling & reef fishing for bigger fighting fish. Chrome is similar to Ande Monster line which both have superior liner strength. I think that all the Berkley lines for big game are mostly in the 20-80# range. With a few at 100#.

Gfish

Quote from: philaroman on May 07, 2021, 11:14:18 AM
does Maxima still have a good rep.?  
I liked that, decades ago

JMO, got some yellow 20 lb.; seems like the good ol' days stuff, tough, good knot strength, a bit stiff. Slightly large diameter for the lb. test.
Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!