Heating bearing oil

Started by Jenx, May 07, 2021, 12:39:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jenx

I was watching a Youtube video (linked below) on how to service a Fathom II reel.

The guy in the video puts oil and a bearing on a spoon and heats the oil with a lighter. He claims this helps the oil penetrate the bearing.

I have never seen this done before. Does anyone else here do the same thing, or something similar?

oldmanjoe

::)  Remove a shield and pack the bearing is what i do .
   ???  On a hot day does the oil come out of the bearing just as easy and leave you dry ?
Grandpa`s words of wisdom......Joey that thing between your shoulders is not a hat rack.....    use it.....
A mind is like a parachute, it only work`s  when it is open.......
The power of Observation   , It`s all about the Details ..
 Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.   Alto Mare

Gfish

Heat is a great catalyst. If the oil actually can penetrate the bearing metal, heat may be the way.
Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!

philaroman

don't know about mainlining oil, but some of his other advice is suspect, IMO

Tiddlerbasher

Oil is deigned to work in a certain temperature range - COOKING it ain't a good idea! I think the guy who suggested this is a few fries short of a happy meal.
If you want oil to penetrate dilute it with a solvent like IPA or acetone. The solvent will quickly evaporate leaving a fine film of oil.

Donnyboat

Possibly best to leave the bearing dry, & wash it with the alcohol, in between casts, cheers Don.
Don, or donnyboat

alantani

yeah, um, that's a hard pass......   :-\
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

steelfish

Quote from: Jenx on May 07, 2021, 12:39:11 AM
He claims this helps the oil penetrate the bearing.

some guy in youtube want to turn "reel service" into rocker science, Oil will get into, on, in, over, under everything even if you dont want to !! LOL

the real important factor here is to use a Nice quality oil and just add some drops and spin the thing slowly and you will see the oil penetrate the bearing or drop the bearing into a small cup full of oil let it penetrate and take the excess with a paper towel, or even you can use the same pack greaser from Alan tani and force oil to get into the guts of the bearing.
as long as you do the annual service to your reels ( or more depending on the use of the reel) if wont be much difference the way you put the oil on your bearings
The Baja Guy