Main Menu

10' Suzuki special

Started by JasonGotaProblem, May 07, 2021, 01:21:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JasonGotaProblem

For some reason it seems like a lot of the discussion about the Suzuki special is about the 9'6" variety.

Well I'm in the process of building a rod using the lighter 10' blank. I haven't finished it yet, guides are taped on but still moving around a bit as i fine tune for max casting. So far I'm tossing an otherwise unweighted tennis ball about 75 yds on my first draft of guide locations.

And all I can say is dang this is quite a rod! It casts as well as can be hoped, and while i have not fought a fish on it yet, i have fought a few trees while test casting. It seems like it's gonna be a lot of fun.

Most my talk of this rod has been about my plans to decorate it (see thread in generalized fishing rods subforum called "epoxy art") but im quickly realizing that how it looks is the least important part of this thing.

I saw the machine test for the heavier 9'6" version, has any such thing been recorded for the 10' version?
Any machine is a smoke machine if you use it wrong enough.

JasonGotaProblem

Ok, rod is built. Gonna hopefully get to fight something with it soon, but it casts really well and the action feels like it's gonna be a lot of fun to use.

Also i can't get over how light it is compared to just about every rod of comparable size and specs I've ever felt. I actually added a bit of weight under the butt cap to balance it out, and it's still quite light.

Cor

These Black Hole rods have become very popular here where I live.   I have not see the Suzuki models around but various others and they all seem strong and cast extremely well.

Light is good, don't worry about it.
Cornelis

JasonGotaProblem

Quote from: Cor on May 14, 2021, 02:44:48 PM
Light is good, don't worry about it.
Lighter is better. Part of why I picked this one is its the lightest 10 footer under like $200 for the blank that isn't a total noodle.

I was test casting last night with a 1oz spoon. Was wondering why I didnt see the splash in the lake. It was because I was completely overshooting the lake. I realized it when my lure got caught in the trees on the other side. Via google earth those trees are over 100 yds away. I think I can do even better, but i gotta learn the feel of that rod first.

Swami805

Is that Suzuki a 2 piece rod?  100yds with a one ounce spoon?  Dang! Might have to get one
Do what you can with that you have where you are

jurelometer

Did you build it reel down style?

JasonGotaProblem

Quote from: Swami805 on May 14, 2021, 05:24:11 PM
Is that Suzuki a 2 piece rod?  100yds with a one ounce spoon?  Dang! Might have to get one
It is a 2 piece, with a lot of overlap.
I've been doing most my test casting with a tennis ball. Compared to that the spoon flew.
Quote from: jurelometer on May 14, 2021, 09:08:20 PM
Did you build it reel down style?
Not quite. I used a 12" cork butt, with about 40" from the top of the threads up reel seat to the first guide. So basically normal rod but longer and not necessarily heavier. Its only rated for a 2oz lure, so I don't feel like that's a very extreme build.

JasonGotaProblem

Got to try it out this weekend. Fish werent super active where I was so I didnt get to give what I'd consider a full or thorough test, but I'm pretty happy with it. All I got was a 16 redfish a 28" sail cat and a 15 mangrove snapper, plus a few regular catfish but those dont count.I was throwing freeline shrimp (on the small end for what I uzually get) a good 30 yds, but I couldn't get a half oz bucktail out past 50 yds. Heavier lures flew considerably further.

I wanna land some bigger stuff before I give a full synopsis but I found it very fun to fight fish with, and quite sensitive.

I'm very happy with this purchase.

steelfish

and.... where are the pictures of your rod?
how many guides did you used and which model of guides?

pics or never happened!! ;D ;D
The Baja Guy

JasonGotaProblem

Quote from: steelfish on May 17, 2021, 05:53:25 PM
and.... where are the pictures of your rod?
how many guides did you used and which model of guides?

pics or never happened!! ;D ;D
Was delaying pics til I finish decoration. But it has 11 guides total. all Fuji alconites with the polished finish.
1 CMNAG-30J
1 KLAG 20J
1 KLAG 12J
1 LYAG 6
7 LAG 6
1 TFST titanium SiC tip.

I find in my limited experience the tip and the lowest guide take the most abuse, which is why I opted for a double foot lowest guide and titanium tip.

steelfish

Quote from: JasonGotaPenn on May 17, 2021, 06:10:31 PM
I find in my limited experience the tip and the lowest guide take the most abuse, which is why I opted for a double foot lowest guide and titanium tip.

thats correct, nice setup of guides
The Baja Guy

ksong

jurelometer

If a video of somebody pulling on a redfish  is an demonstration of a rod's capabilities, lets take a look at the competition:

I don't want to sound condescending, but the Spongebob model is sort of for for the newbies. I prefer to fish the classics myself, especially the Zebco Snoopy outfits.   

-J

boon

Quote from: JasonGotaPenn on May 17, 2021, 06:10:31 PM
Was delaying pics til I finish decoration. But it has 11 guides total. all Fuji alconites with the polished finish.
1 CMNAG-30J
1 KLAG 20J
1 KLAG 12J
1 LYAG 6
7 LAG 6
1 TFST titanium SiC tip.

Overhead or spin build? Feels like a lot of guides if it's spin.

JasonGotaProblem

Quote from: jurelometer on May 17, 2021, 11:50:12 PM
I don't want to sound condescending, but the Spongebob model is sort of for for the newbies. I prefer to fish the classics myself, especially the Zebco Snoopy outfits.   

-J
I'd say the value of such a video is seeing the action of the rod, how and when it bends, etc. Anyone can catch any fish on any rod if one has the skill and patience, yet we don't all fish spongebob rods.

With that said I won't feel I've properly tested a rod til I fight something big (for the rod) on it.

Quote from: boon on May 18, 2021, 01:22:20 AM
Overhead or spin build? Feels like a lot of guides if it's spin.
Team spin it to win it. It doesn't feel excessive. If 9 on a 7 footer is normal 11 on a 10 footer could likely stand to be a bit more aggressive.