Zebco Cardinal 4 E-clip

Started by Catching Nemo, May 09, 2021, 01:08:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Catching Nemo

Hi all,

I just acquired a Zebco Cardinal 4 reel (the green/white one). It's a project reel that will need some cleanup and a couple replacement parts.

I just opened it up and saw that the E-clip, which is supposed to be located where the oscillation arm (connecting link) attaches to the main gear, is missing.  Does anyone know the size of a replacement E-clip that I may be able to use? I'm hoping that I can locate a properly sized run-of-the-mill E-clip from Amazon or other online source.

(I don't have any instruments to measure the shaft/groove that the E-clip will clip to, and so I would have to "guess" on the size of an E-clip to buy).

Midway Tommy

You can remove the main gear and take it to your local hardware store and find one that will fit. You can also measure the e-clip behind the connecting link (oscillation arm) on the back of the main shaft, or use it as a pattern, to get one for the main gear. They are both exactly the same size. Don't lose the little shim washer that goes in front of the connecting link block.
Love those open face spinning reels! (Especially ABU & ABU/Zebco Cardinals)

Tommy D (ORCA), NE

Favorite Activity? ............... In our boat fishing
RELAXING w/ MY BEST FRIEND (My wife Bonnie)

foakes

If you will PM me your full mailing information, CN —

I will drop these in the mail on Monday morning — No Charge.

Best, Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

Catching Nemo

Thanks Tommy.

Thanks Fred.  PM coming.

foakes

Got your (2) parts ready to go in the mail, Dennis —

On the stop spring #9876 — there are (3) versions with the same part number.  I think you want the top one in the photo — but you need to let me know.  If you are not sure — I will mail you all (3) — then you can send back the other two.

On the crank handle — do you want a complete new one, or a complete used one?  $15 new, $10 good used.

I have a LOT of ABU/Zebco Cardinal parts — just starting to sort around 300 pounds of them into numbered organizer bins.

Let me know.

Best, Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

Catching Nemo

Quote from: foakes on May 09, 2021, 08:30:54 PM
Got your (2) parts ready to go in the mail, Dennis —

On the stop spring #9876 — there are (3) versions with the same part number.  I think you want the top one in the photo — but you need to let me know.  If you are not sure — I will mail you all (3) — then you can send back the other two.

On the crank handle — do you want a complete new one, or a complete used one?  $15 new, $10 good used.

I have a LOT of ABU/Zebco Cardinal parts — just starting to sort around 300 pounds of them into numbered organizer bins.

Let me know.

Best, Fred

Hi Fred,

A. This is amazing.  I would not have imagined that the same part number 9876 would come in 3 different flavors.  I've got two Cardinal reels that look identical (as far as I can tell) on the outside (and so I would have assumed that they are from the same production run). Yet after opening them up, they indeed use different flavors of #9876 even though they seem to have identical anti reverse hook #9875 that they attach to. One of them uses the part shown in the middle of your pic and the other reel uses the part shown in the bottom of your pic.

B.  Also in your above pic of the opened-up housing, the insert support #9874 seems to be missing (but it is shown and described in Midway Tommy's Cardinal 4 tutorial).  Was it removed from your reel, or is it a case where some production runs have #9874 and some do not?

PM incoming.  Thanks again.

foakes

Yes, Dennis —

That support piece should be there.

I just pulled this old 4 out of a bin for photo purposes —  containing maybe 25 Cardinals of which some are partially disassembled — awaiting a cleaning, service, and restore to proper operation...someday.

Just pulled a new #9874 out of a parts envelope.  That will be sent off tomorrow, along with the used handle assembly, the "E" clip, and the copper washer.

Best, Fred

--------

Fred O.