Unlimited Rod

Started by CooldadE, May 10, 2021, 03:19:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

CooldadE

Found this on Craigslist... it's a custom rod won at a fishing tournament. Anyone recognize the blank , guides ? I can see the reel seat is a Varmac... Looks unused.
Thanks,
Cool

I would rather be judged by 12 than carried by 6...

MarkT

Heavy IGFA rods tend to be for fighting from a chair, not standup. Won in a tournament... 50 years ago?
When I was your age Pluto was a planet!

CooldadE

Don't know the background on this rod except that the tourney was in Florida, like you said prob 50 yrs ago. but yes it's old ! I picked up a 14/0 Senator a couple of years ago and want a rod for it... not to use, just to look at and appreciate...

Cool

MarkT

That rod looks like it'd fit that bill.
When I was your age Pluto was a planet!

Shark Hunter

Life is Good!

CooldadE

They are asking $249... but they haven't seen my negotiating skills yet...

Cool

alantani

unless the rod has some historic value, like it once belonged to hemmingway, i'd take a hard pass.   :-\
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

UKChris1

Mildrum rollers - double roller at the tip and butt. These were common and top notch on heavy chair rods back in the day, before Aftco made their Big Foot range, and if not rusted are still good today.

Likely to be a glass blank (won't be carbon fibre from those days) and could be hollow or solid (you might be able to tell by separating the tip and butt at the reel seat as the ferrule of the Varmac is open at the end where it sits on the blank).

To my eye, the blank is a little slim for an unlimited class but you could simply clean it up for a 'wall hanger' - as I have done with a Harnell from the 1960-70 era - or refurbish it and use it for a perfectly serviceable 130lb chair rod (though I would opt for a bent butt if you can find one to fit a Varmac RS 6H reel seat (rare as hen's teeth!).

Some of us love those old big game rods from the last century!