oops ey dsy

Started by gstours, May 12, 2021, 01:12:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

gstours

Heres a over confident skipper ,  me ,  getting sqewerd,  (skrewing)  or (screwed)  not sure with the regs?
    its always fun to watch a selfy rerun.     We can lerrn from our mistakes,   some one said.    watch and have fun...... :(

alantani

i didn't think it looked that bad.  ;D
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

gstours

Thanks Alan,   Wish I'd handed my rod to you.   Although the deck hands were super,  it wasn't going to happen.   I've reviewed this clip quite a bit before going public with it.
  I'm glad to have the footage to stomp me foot 🦶 on.     
I've concluded that I was at a disadvantage being at anchor,  but I'm not making excuses.
  When the fish got a rest that I gave her,  she just said " I,m out of here "
       Just another day I'd like to do over.      Thanks 🙏

David Hall

I for one loved the film.  Although I must warn you before you read any further, if your sense of humor is not as keen as the edge of one whisker on a house mouse you might want to consider adjusting your attitude before reading any further.  I am not a professional critic, nor do I own more than one boat but I feel uniquely qualified to comment on this, as my ignorance of big halibuttses is only exceeded by my lack of personal experience catching big buttses, however I did catch two that were nearly 18lbs a few days ago, combined weight not that it matters In addition I did sleep at a motel 6 recently and the light was on when I got there so there's no reason to doubt me. First let me qualify a few more items which you may find to be of concern,  I do not know who made this film, who stars in this film or where this film was made, it is impossible to win an argument with myself butt I think you will all unanimously agree, this is a big part of the appeal.  How do I rate it overall? Good question I for one am glad I asked, I give it one big thumbs up! butt you can rate it the same and not use your thumb if you prefer, we can just say when I watched this on the big screen I gave it one big vertical digit.  Now I don't know anything about the premise of the film really butt it starts out strong with the hookup and you as the viewer don't have to be told because you instinctually know that this is a film about a guy, on a boat, somewhere and his rod is bent over................hard.... this is not no (2 fish 18lb total weight) kinda of fish...this is either one or more of those kinds of fishes great grandpa....or maybe great grandma?.  It's big and beautiful and it ate his bait...the fact that you never see the fish doesn't matter, it makes it even more! As the plot develops and you continue watching it in wonder and amazement it comes at you across the side from down the rail on the outboard side all fuzzy and distorted  like the view beheld by the cleverest of short one eyed sailors who, drunk from the ever churning waters hangs over the rail and chums the waters only looking up occasionally from his busy work to watch the action at the stern. and he's also in risk of falling over, Butt! it's his or her view that is  carried to, us "we the viewer" on crippled and broken airwaves, as raw and real as big butt fishing gets, and as if that isn't enough to do it by itself, it's also got a boat in it people!  "Look at me I'm on a Boat", and it's got an ocean, it's got fisher...man...person...people, and most importantly it's got tight lines and that always welcome bent rod, it has everything we all love about this great fishing lifestyle almost, everything Except credits!  God I miss credits,  who did this?  But mostly Why?
Chapter Two:
"the vaccine made me say these things."
I believe this film will one day be viewed as one of the greatest if not the greatest. I will grant you that day May yet be a long long long time deep into the future after all of us are in the past, but still it's awesome isn't it.
It's a brilliant documentary on the conceptual art of "Catching". A perspective, if you will, from "Over the rail", One mans view if and only if that one man was a one eyed drunken sailor who happens to also be......very short!  I had nothing to do with the production of this master.......master..???? A just descriptive eludes my grasp presently,  unjust descriptives flood my mind in flights, but we're not using those on this story, so we persevere, Furthermore if I did have anything to do with it's production I would choose to assist in editing I might just push it over the edge, right into the abyss of historical greatness that it rightfully deserves. I would dub in a musical score of some long hair tune like...... korsokovs.....Flight... of the Bumble bee! I can hear it now?....Bzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz Can't you?  Fade in fade out, switch the film from color to black and white, saturate the contrast and move to negative  light. fade music and  que the voice!  In 4,3,2,1...that person, whoever that person is, sounds like a,..a..... Judge or a maybe a retired...politician.. I was gonna guess he might be a lawyer but then I realized a lawyer could never remember all that dialogue! Doesn't matter whoever it is they have great voice, it carries well and even with the slight err Spanish? accent? If my ear doesn't lie, Whenever he starts speaking that's when you fade the music etcetera. and dialogue begins:
"We should measure this thing, do we got anything to measure this fish which.....wish, with, we need a tapa measure, Anybody got a tapa measure, what I wouldn't give for tapa measurer."
  It's gonna be a cult classic I can feel it in my bones.

gstours

Thanks Dave for your thoughts and (support).😳
I must confess that this clip was chopped so much the viewer never gets to see the big picture.
  It's my editing lack of "style " as I thought this footage was too good to waste.   I've reviewed the master clip quite a bit to learn from my mistakes and now am ready to try this fish again.
  The fish may have gotten a bit of slack and with the tide running back turned sideways slightly and given the perfect chance to change direction when I was not paying attention?   Anyway there's no stopping her as she went out and around the outboard motor and rubbing the trimtab.
  I'm glad the line broke as the rod would have as the drag was tite.     It was a fun. Disappointed ☹️
     The film was captured by our Dominic and the asssistance was given by Wayne a couple of years ago.
It's a clip that has always bugged me.   The day earlier we got a 325# mama up to measure and film on the Tank that Sal built in a combined effort with the California boys 🎣.     Boy was that fun.

Dominick

I remember that day vaguely.  I need a refresher course on the Maiko.  Hint, wink wink. Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

gstours

OK got it, :D   The Covid thing has effected most everyone in some ways.  I,m still hoping to get fresh air outdoors as much as possible.
   Lets hope everyone is healthy as this thing might diminish with the correct actions.
Butt time marches on and we dont get any younger.    Be Safe.   Best of luck to all. :-*
While we are on the topic of fishing halibut on the Maiko,  here,s another resurrection out of the blue.

Dominick

Did anyone notice the style and panache with which I handled the harpoon.  It takes innate talent to gracefully sling the harpoon so that it takes the fish efficiently.  I need to pat myself on the back for such grace under pressure.  Actually my harpoon skills are getting rusty so I need a brush up on the Maiko.  Thanks for the memories Gary.  Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

gstours

Dominick your grace and style is one of the reasons I always wanted Sal to come up and over!   Butt it never got to happen.  He left us with the Tank,  I dont know if you noticed,    Butt Wayne is a fish hog? ;D    and your shadow up north.  :-*
  Thanks for being our friend.  ;)