Why not use electrical tape under the braid?

Started by alantani, May 13, 2021, 10:13:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

alantani

When I'm rigging reels, I lightly grease the spool with an old greasy toothbrush,  then add a couple of layers of flex wrap.  I know that alot of shops use electrical tape. This is why. The tape hardens,  salt water gets underneath,  and you get corrosion. I am less concerned about what you use on the arbor and more concerned that you just use something.  Given a choice,  skip the electrical tape, the masking tape,  and the duct tape,  and use flex wrap.
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Gfish

Yeah. That looks bad. I use grease only if theres a pin, or the flex wrap + grease if there's no pin.
Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!

nelz

Tiddlerbasher

Or just learn to tie a multi wrap arbor knot in the braid ala Jerry Brown's recommendation - and no it will not slip :D

oc1

We discussed this before.  I just throw eight to ten half-hitches around the spool.  All the hitches are going in the same direction (not alternating) and going in the same direction that the line will be wound.  The hitches will tighten themselves around the arbor instead of slipping.  If the reel is quick apart it is easier to do it with the spool removed.

Keta

Quote from: nelz on May 14, 2021, 05:48:49 AM
Why tape at all, what about mono instead?

Or Dacron line, I use it or Vet Wrap (same as Flex Wrap but several $ less).
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

alantani

yup, lots of ways to approach this.  Lots of ways work just fine.  i'm just not a big fan of this stuff but anything is better than nothing.  when someone tells me they are not getting drag, braid slippage is always my first thought! 

thorhammer

I had a shop that "knew what it was doing" do just that...just tied a knot and spooled PP...I figured it out on a fish. Now I prewrap myself or at least confirm with the tech what they will do.

foakes

I also have used flex-wrap for over 20 years.

It just works with no issues — and doesn't trap water.

If you get flex wrap that doesn't have a picture of a boat or a medical emblem on it — it is around a buck a roll on Amazon, eBay, or Wal-Mart.

I have a couple of 113H's, two 501's and two 500's to do for a client over the weekend — that will get the flex wrap before spooling them up.

One time, I ran out of flex wrap to finish up a batch of reels for a Charter outfit.  Just went to my Racquetball bag — and used the same stuff I use on the racquet handles for extra grip.

Main thing is — use something that won't trap moisture — and won't slip.

For me, this just works.

Best, Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

dlrider

Quote from: alantani on May 13, 2021, 10:13:32 PM
When I'm rigging reels, I lightly grease the spool with an old greasy toothbrush,  then add a couple of layers of flex wrap. 

The flex wrap will grip regardless the grease?

JasonGotaProblem

Wouldn't a lightly corroded spool just be more grippy?

Win-win.  8)
Any machine is a smoke machine if you use it wrong enough.

philaroman

you better delete that, before someone quotes it

alantani

Quote from: dlrider on May 14, 2021, 06:50:33 PM
Quote from: alantani on May 13, 2021, 10:13:32 PM
When I'm rigging reels, I lightly grease the spool with an old greasy toothbrush,  then add a couple of layers of flex wrap. 

The flex wrap will grip regardless the grease?

yup!  i was concerned as well, but it seems to work just fine!

conchydong

Quote from: Tiddlerbasher on May 14, 2021, 08:50:20 AM
Or just learn to tie a multi wrap arbor knot in the braid ala Jerry Brown's recommendation - and no it will not slip :D

This is what I do and never had a problem.

jzman

I do two or three wraps of line around spool before tying the arbor knot.  I leave a 1/2-3/4 inch tag end from the arbor knot so that the tag-end gets wrapped around tightly against the spool when spooling the first couple feet of line.  This prevents it from slipping without tape.  Problem is if I get spooled the arbor knot may only then slip.

If there is an arbor pin (ie tld 15/30) or a hole in the spool (ie penn fathoms) I just use that.  No tape needed.