Why not use electrical tape under the braid?

Started by alantani, May 13, 2021, 10:13:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Donnyboat

I always use grease then tape, then a knot plus 3 or 4 half hitches, the grease stops any corrosion, keeps the salt water out, cheers Don.
Don, or donnyboat

gstours

After viewing page one it seems like people forgot about using a heavy wax , like heated beeswax on the bottom and sides of the lower spool.  Seals out the water and provides a tacky grip. ???
   Plastic electrical tape will be a pain to remove later on if desired.   Don't ask how I know?
       Some reel manufacturers still provide a hole inthe spool, knurled center seems like a good idea.🤷‍♂️
There's lots of good options and everyone has a preference,   Don't get spooled.🐟

Shellbelly

Quote from: gstours on May 16, 2021, 03:31:41 PMusing a heavy wax
I always wondered why there was a stubby candle in my grandfather's rod/reel stuff.  The melted end was concave.  NOW I know.  Thank you for that!

Adhesive tapes can leave a residue.
"Little boy,  you can get glad in the same pants you just got mad in."  (My Momma)
"You shot it boy, you're gonna clean it and eat it".  (My Dad)

jurelometer

Shockingly, this has been discussed before:

https://alantani.com/index.php?topic=36014.0

I am a fan of three coats of carnuba paste wax for my personal use, but may not so great if you are trying to get the reel filled and out the door in a short time for a customer.

-J