Quick Microlite

Started by Nstif1954, May 13, 2021, 10:14:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nstif1954

Hi everyone.  I'm a new member and I was hoping to get some help in obtaining a trip lever or an angle lever for a Quick Microlite.   In looking at some of the schematics on line I'm confused as to which part I actually need to fix this, a trip lever or an angle lever, are they one and the same? I have included a pic of my reel with the spool removed.
Thank you,
Nstif1954

foakes

Welcome, Nstif —

You already have an angle lever — it is what attaches to your bail wire.

Appears that you are missing a trip lever and a trip lever spring.

I have those.  $10, shipped to you.

Will need you to PM me your full mailing information, please.

Best, Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

foakes

In the mail this morning, Neil —

Best, Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

Nstif1954

happyhooker

Greetings, Neil, from Minnesota.  Looks like you might be on your way to successful surgery on that DAM Q.

Frank

Nstif1954

I agree, thank you Frank.

foakes

Received Neil's DQ 265 Microlite this afternoon —

For replacement of the missing trip lever and TL spring.

It is a 1st Gen 265 (1961).  There are (2) trip levers — but the same part number.

So...Neil had a little understandable trouble making the TL work — since the downward internal leg was hitting the (3) bearing retainer screws.  He sent it to me to have a look.

Just shaved 2 Mils off the bottom of the leg, cleaned and smoothed it.  Works as new.

Also replaced a missing cover cap, the grip screw for the crank knob, the drag assembly, cleaned, checked operation, tightened a couple of nuts, oiled, and that was all.

10 minute job — on the way back in the mail either today or tomorrow.

N/C.

Best, Fred

--------

Fred O.

Ruffy

Nice work Fred! Do you find you regularly need to shave parts when repairing DAMs? Or is it due to putting a new unworn part in a worn reel affecting tolerances?

Cheers,
Andrew

foakes

Quote from: Ruffy on May 24, 2021, 09:06:56 PM
Nice work Fred! Do you find you regularly need to shave parts when repairing DAMs? Or is it due to putting a new unworn part in a worn reel affecting tolerances?

Cheers,
Andrew

No, it is seldom needed, Andrew —

The built-in tight tolerances along with top quality durable materials — never seem to wear out, unless really abused.  And even then, they are easy to bring back to new.

But when it is — due to a newer version part in an older version reel — this is the simplest and quickest fix.

I keep 4 variable grinders to my right rear — with (6) dedicated grinding wheels, wire wheels, and buffers, a 1" belt sander, and Dremel heads for detail work.  They are all hard mounted and don't need any setup.  They are always ready to touch up, grind, polish, burnish, smooth, or clean stubbornly rusted parts with no drama or set-up.  I ALWAYS use good eye protection — no exceptions, ever.

About the only parts that need "adjustment" are these, and sometimes a few parts on the older Finessa 280 & 285's, some 270, 270LC, and 275's, and sometimes the connecting block on a 220/221.

As a general rule — even parts from a few generations later will fit the older reels.

With the reels manufactured in Germany — DAM disn't deviate very much in their thread pitch and sizes, their basic parts, or their interchangeability between models.

When the company moved manufacturing and parts sourcing to Asia — that was a different story.

Best, Fred

--------

Fred O.

nelz

Fred is the der damquickmeister!  ;D

Nstif1954

Thank you so much Fred for your help with this. 

Your knowledge and expertise is amazing! I'm so happy I came across this site and that I connected with you.   Since becoming a member a week ago I have been reading the various entries from several of the members and I got to say it's so refreshing to see people so willing to share their knowledge and help one another.  Mr. Tani your forum is awesome!

Thank you,
Neil