Policansky Monitor No. 2!! What a Nightmare!

Started by Reeltyme, May 15, 2021, 12:00:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Reeltyme

Ladies and Gents, after watching several episodes of River Monsters with Jeremy Wade, I noticed that he used a Policansky reel on several occasions. This perked my interest as I had never seen one. I searched the big Bay and found one for a reasonable price and purchased it. When I received the reel I found that it would not engage to drive and remained in the free spool mode regardless of which way I threw the various levers and turned the various knobs.... no problem, I bought it to tear apart and check it's workings over anyway. I can fix it!
If you have never taken one of these little reels apart, DONT! After the initial inspection and after a complete disassembly, I cleaned her up. Now, just put it together the opposite of taking apart, easy. 2 frustrating days later, I had it working correctly. The main shaft that runs through the reel has VERY fine threads at the back end of the reel. It completely screws out of the reel. Upon reassembly when screwing the shaft back in, you must have the EXACT length sticking out of the handle side. One thread to much, and it will not go into free spool mode. One thread to little and it will not go into drive mode. A half of turn one way or the other makes all the difference. Of course, to make these adjustments, one must remove several pieces over and over again. Not my idea of an easy to work on reel. But darn it looks good! Works great,,,now.

Wompus Cat

You endeavored to Persevere .
Congratulations !
I would have made it a 100 Yard Target, ;D
If a Grass Hopper Carried a Shotgun then the Birds wouldn't MESS with Him

Crow

There's nothing wrong with a few "F's" on your record....Food, Fun, Flowers, Fishing, Friends, and Fun....to name just a few !

Swami805

That's a unique looking reel, have you figured out what all the knobs and levers do? 
Do what you can with that you have where you are

Bill B

Very handsome reel, good job on sticking with it and making it work....Bill
It may not be very productive,
but it's sure going to be interesting!

Cor

These reels have a history in Cape Town and for me, not that I have ever touched one!   There is some information on them on the web, just search for it.
During the period 1968 to 76 I was very active with shore based Yellowtail fishing and there were mainly two types of reels seen as the most useful for that purpose, the well known Penn 49 and 49 (a) and the British made Tadler 3 and 4.
One well known South African all round sportsman and weight lifter Mike Stott was also a director of a Sport Shop chain and on the fishing front he is better known for his involvement in the development of the Penn 49 A. He was often around and also fished the spots I did those days so I got to know him fairly well.

He also became involved with the Policansky reels which were made here at the time and tried to promote them amongst the guys.    He persisted in using one for many years, in fact till he disappeared of the scene.
Those reels got the reputation of being excellently designed and well made, but too finicky and not suitable for the robust conditions that we fished under for Yellowtail.    Lever drags were not used here and the retrieve rate was to slow.

Is that an original handle, somehow does not look right, more like a Penn.    Your reel looks in nice condition still and I believe they are still made somewhere in the world.

Some history as I remember it!
Cornelis

oc1

There's a novelty; beautiful too except for the Penn knob.  Joe Coxe dabbled with shafts like that.

I never recognize anything Jeremy Wade uses.  Clearly, he's a tackle whore and would fit right in here.

Reeltyme

I did forget to mention that it is made in South Africa. As for the Penn looking handle, don't know the story on that. That's the way she showed up at my door. An interesting note is the the drag adjustment is done by turning a knob on the back of the reel. A bit different and not user friendly. As for the quality of the reel, it is very well made. I would put it in the Ambassador level, lots of parts that all work together well. All in all, give me an old Senator that just won't quite and is easy to work on!

Wompus Cat

Quote from: Reeltyme on May 15, 2021, 08:44:30 AM
I did forget to mention that it is made in South Africa. As for the Penn looking handle, don't know the story on that. That's the way she showed up at my door. An interesting note is the the drag adjustment is done by turning a knob on the back of the reel. A bit different and not user friendly. As for the quality of the reel, it is very well made. I would put it in the Ambassador level, lots of parts that all work together well. All in all, give me an old Senator that just won't quite and is easy to work on!

The ONLY thing Missing on Reels made with all those Extras is a Dial with 1-12 on it .
Good Job bring it back to Life!
If a Grass Hopper Carried a Shotgun then the Birds wouldn't MESS with Him

Rothmar2

Cool looking reel. I believe these had a bit of a following out in Australia in the 70's. Have seen a few photos of them in Australian fishing magazines from those times. Often wondered what ever became of them. Might have to do some searching about for one. Thanks for the heads up about their serviceability though!

Bryan Young

:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

54bullseye

Cool reel I am glad you got it Randy !!!  And not me ! LOL !!   Good job getting it working again !   John Taylor