Just when you're not expecting it...

Started by joesquid, May 17, 2021, 12:21:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

joesquid

When out Saturday to the mouth of the Chesapeake Bay with my son and one of his buddies.  Spent the better part of the day chasing Cobia and Red Drum.  No hook ups so we put away the heavier tackle and headed to give the Tautog a shot.  Not much action there either until I hooked this Bull Red Drum on Penn Peerless 9.  That little reel had no problem handling this 40 lb fish.  Pretty happy how it performed.  That's my first mate (youngest son) holding it.

oldmanjoe

Nice fish ,m bet you got a work out pulling him in ........
Grandpa`s words of wisdom......Joey that thing between your shoulders is not a hat rack.....    use it.....
A mind is like a parachute, it only work`s  when it is open.......
The power of Observation   , It`s all about the Details ..
 Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.   Alto Mare

Benni3

That a nice one great job man,,,,,,,, ;D

oc1

Big red.  That's what a No.9 is for.

foakes

Nice job, Joe —

Thanks for sharing it with us!

Best, Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

Gobi King

Nice! I bet they will talk about that for a while.
Shibs - aka The Gobi King
Fichigan

joesquid

Thanks fellas!  Yeah, we were all pretty excited.  He put up a good fight. Team effort with my son manning the net and keeping the old man from falling overboard and his friend clearing the deck and lines.

Donnyboat

Thanks for the picture, nice story about the No 9, cheers Don.
Don, or donnyboat

steelfish

nice fish and big head on that one, pretty sure the fight was a blast !
The Baja Guy

Mjg378

gstours

Yep,  you got a nice fish 🎣.   And your the man of the house 🏡 again! ;)

Crow

There's nothing wrong with a few "F's" on your record....Food, Fun, Flowers, Fishing, Friends, and Fun....to name just a few !

happyhooker

Wolli

Congra, interesting fishing area, many wrecks

Wolli
love jigging    www.jupiter-sunrise-lodge.com/de/
Authorized Jigging Master Service Partner (in Germany)

Decker

Redfish seem to be moving more and more north.   I fish New Jersey, and have never caught one, but they do appear.  Also sheepshead are being caught in NJ more frequently.