langley spinator 870b right hand crank - convertable to left hand crank?

Started by tristan, May 22, 2021, 10:48:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tristan

As the title says, is it possible to set up a Langley Spinator 870b RH Crank to LH Crank?

If anyone on this planet knows, they're likely on this board....

;D

foakes

It would appear, at first glance, that it would be a simple process to switch the sideplates, handle, and reverse the crosswind block — although the glued label would also need to be removed and re-glued 180 degrees.

But, if memory serves — there is a factory conversion kit to accomplish this.  So I think it may be more complicated than at first glance.

To eliminate my confusion — do you want to end up with the crank on the left or right side?

(A right-handed reel has the crank on the left side — a left-handed reel has the crank on the right side).

I generally just ask folks where they want the crank to be when converted — left or right side of reel.

Best, Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

philaroman

much info here...  also made by Zebco -- same reel in black,
so search for just "Spinator" without "Langley", so you get everything

tristan

I would want it on the left side.

My question originates because  I saw a 870b, right hand crank, for sale and wondered if it was worth the effort.

Looks like a veritable tank of a old-school reel.

Thanks for tearing into one just to answer my question, Fred.

You da man!     ;)

Wompus Cat - thanks for the response as well!     You were posting while I was composing... :D

Wompus Cat

Well Let me modify my post .
Like the all knowing Fred says it may need a kit BUT if I recall I think you just need to turn the guide that the Main gear fits into around when you take the Gear assembly out and it should be good to go.
Have not torn into one of those in awhile but seems like it was fairly easy to do .
If a Grass Hopper Carried a Shotgun then the Birds wouldn't MESS with Him

foakes

Here is some paper that shows a little information from the '50's.  Just ran across it while tossing out old stuff.

Typically, what stops the presses on these switch-overs — is not the straightforward switching of sides when possible — it is a different adapter needed for the Anti-Reverse mechanism.

Surprisingly high price when new back in '58.  Using the inflation calculator — today's price would be $392.00.

Best, Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

tristan

Well, maybe not a simple swap over.

I'll keep an eye out for one, seems like an old-school-cool bit of kit.

Thanks, everybody.

Midway Tommy

The earliest (1955/6 - 1959) Langley 830s, 860s & 870s could be field converted from left hand wind to right hand wind. About 1959 they came out with the 830A, 860A & 870A,. Those came in either LH or RH models. About 1961 came the Bs & a few Cs. About that same time the RH winds became the 834, 864 & 874 models.

Zebco's (post 1963) LH winds were 830, 860 & 870. Their RH winds were 834, 864 & 874.
Love those open face spinning reels! (Especially ABU & ABU/Zebco Cardinals)

Tommy D (ORCA), NE

Favorite Activity? ............... In our boat fishing
RELAXING w/ MY BEST FRIEND (My wife Bonnie)

oc1

I don't think you will have to wait very long to find a righthand (crank on left) model at auction.  They are not uncommon. 

tristan

Quote from: oc1 on May 23, 2021, 10:38:57 AM
I don't think you will have to wait very long to find a righthand (crank on left) model at auction.  They are not uncommon. 

Right you were!

;)

oc1

Judging by the way Spinfishers hold their value, I think the Spinator is an under-appreciated reel.