Butt ugly

Started by gstours, May 22, 2021, 03:03:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gstours

Usually we are proud of a nicely tied knot, right? ???
   Butt here's a mono chain knot using a bunch of half hitches tied with 80# leader and under 50# of constant strain left overnight.    It recoiled some butt never failed my test.
   Hence the name B U.   Just saying. :(

boon

Did you alternate your hitches? These knots are usually a little bit wonky but not that curled.

I tied one in 20lb and put it on a line tester and it broke at 100%. For such a simple knot they are very strong.

gstours

Tanks Mr. Boon,  yes i am trying to alternate the half h,s but sometimes loose track over, under etc.  There are a couple of variations that i,m testing.....  I was suprised how the strain affected the knot after the long strain period.    Testing will improve anybodys dissapointment rate! ;)
   The knot is shown here in an easy to understand vidieo.      Have fun out there.   Be safe.
https://na01.safelinks.protection.outlook.com/?url=https%3A%2F%2Fyoutu.be%2FxCZKPnxjbxo&data=04%7C01%7C%7C2fc50b0d382e4669568c08d917d15f34%7C84df9e7fe9f640afb435aaaaaaaaaaaa%7C1%7C0%7C637567010269552445%7CUnknown%7CTWFpbGZsb3d8eyJWIjoiMC4wLjAwMDAiLCJQIjoiV2luMzIiLCJBTiI6Ik1haWwiLCJXVCI6Mn0%3D%7C1000&sdata=1CpNn%2FVSEJOU5rHG1Gmbc69TMMifWALfb1lhVptrp34%3D&reserved=0

gstours

Also to wonder is does it matter to alternate the hitches?  Maybe its a human eye pleasing thing?   I dunno,     ???   Butt testing should find the flaw?    Here,s another version,   very simple,  Just wondering?

boon

My understanding is that alternating the hitches is what gives you a straight knot instead of a curled one? I don't think it affects the strength much.

Keep us posted with your experiments.

oc1

... but non-alternating hitches that spiral around will pack together tighter and grab the core line tighter.

boon

Quote from: oc1 on May 24, 2021, 03:35:14 AM
... but non-alternating hitches that spiral around will pack together tighter and grab the core line tighter.

They don't need to grab anything. That's the bizarre thing about this knot... when you're finished it's still fairly loose and it works like a big spring. When you load it the whole knot creeps a little bit, which I suspect is by design, and allows the load to be spread more evenly through the knot instead of being concentrated.

oc1

Look up the breaking strength.  It's a weak knot.

boon

Quote from: oc1 on May 24, 2021, 07:44:21 PM
Look up the breaking strength.  It's a weak knot.

I don't need to, I tied one and put it on a certified line tester and it broke at 100% of line strength. I've tied a heap of these and routinely use them to pull very very hard on some quite large fish.

Honestly I don't think we're talking about the same knot. I'm yet to find a knot that beats this in a back-to-back.

Cuttyhunker

I've used the "more than 2 half hitch knot" for rigging, towing, and moving heavy machinery in my shop for years with comfortable success.  The knot will bind under heavy load unless there are two turns around the eye of the target object in which case the knot is easy to untie even after a sustained heavy load.  This was with 1" line, ten tons to part it, so not so certain how it would translate to 30lb Floro, but I would tend to go with the two tuns there as well and hope to remove the binding pressure that may be stressing the line at that point.
Doomed from childhood

philaroman

could you use it for a double leader coming off a swivel -- how strong is the tag end?
wouldn't that make 90* angle a benefit & take care of unravelling/stiffness concerns

gstours

The topic was named Ugly as the knot did change in appearance after being under strain overnight.
Similar ones tested for a minute might be more like a reel time scenario.