Quick 265 Question

Started by HyMntFisher, May 22, 2021, 05:16:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

HyMntFisher

Hello, I am new to the site and wanted to say hello. I also have my first question..Can someone help me understand the the Two versions of the Quick 265 reel "early vs later" and how to tell which is which.

Thanks
Mark

alantani

welcome!  i don't know anything about these old reels, but a few guys are quite knowledgeable and should be along shortly! 
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

foakes

The differences are minor, Mark —

The quickest way to ID the early from the later version 265 Microlite is the A/R lever — the one on the left is early, the one on the right is later.

And, the part numbers are the same — although due to the variances — there are a few parts that will not work on both the early and second versions equally.

The external A/R lever is different — and they will exchange with either version.

The internal trip lever has a different leg — and will not work on both.

The steel worm/pinion is the sane in function — but the threads on the end that attach to the rotating head (rotor) are different.  With one, the rotor threads on clockwise — with the other, counter-clockwise.  This, of course, also makes the rotor different on each due to the thread direction.

Earlier ones had a leather drag disc — later were HD Nylon.

Great little reels!  A tough little reel that will fish far beyond its intended target range.

Metal spool, cast aluminum frame, large main bearing, support at front and back for the steel worm/pinion, folding handle, folding bail to prolong spring life, push button spool release, carbide line guide, steel & phosphor cut bronze gears, solid frame support on BOTH left and right sides for the main gear, center aligned drive train, 1:5 high speed, even a separate spool oscillation gear.  

Attractive, very lightweight, fits in the palm of your hand, perfect for 4 to 6 pound test coupled with a 5' ultralight rod.

A 60 year old reel that if serviced and restored will go another 60.

Welcome aboard — if we can help in any other way — just let us know.

Best Regards,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

HyMntFisher

Hi Fred, I noticed that you posted earlier a 270 with a 265 and you were talking about how the 265 was contrived. Is that 265 in the photo an early version. It appears that the A/R has a gnarled round type end. Does that make any sense?

Regards
Mark

foakes

This tiny powerhouse of a Microlite reel was only manufactured for 2 or 3 years from '61 to '63.

Plus, at that time, it was 3 times the price of the competition and twice the price of a Mitchell 308.  So it was out of many anglers budgets.

The spool spindle clicker wheel ratchet was a little different on the early and late versions, also.

One of my favorite reels for backpacking and fishing the high country lakes for trout.

Lots of guys use them also for other types of fish.  They will handle above their pay grade without stressing or exploding the drive train and other components — if a very large fish happens to be on the other end of the line.

My personal best was a 12.2, pound, 30" German Brown Trout with 4 pound test and a 6' old glass Fenwick rod.

Admittedly, some luck was involved — but a lesser reel might have been toast after, or even during the fight.

The tough little 265 did not even break a sweat.  And it has performed flawlessly every season since that catch back in '92.

I posted the difference in the A/R levers for ID purposes above.

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

HyMntFisher

Thank you Fred, so much information you have for all of us. You are one of the big reasons I love this forum...

Assuming the A/R with the gnarled is most likely the later version?

foakes

Yep, quality and function of both versions is equal, however...

Best, Fred

--------

Fred O.

happyhooker

Greetings, Mark, from Minnesota.

Had my DAM Q 110 out last Mon.; suddenly, the bail went limp.  I assumed the bail spring broke.  Checked later; the screw that holds the bail arm on had come loose, allowing the spring end to pop out of the bail arm.  Just glad I didn't lose the screw!

Frank

HyMntFisher

Frank, that also happened to me in Alaska fishing a small stream but I did lose the screw. Luckily I had another reel.

Regards
Mark

foakes

Don't worry guys —

I have plenty of new screws —

Wife might argue that most of mine are loose — but that is not the case.

Plenty to go around for AT members.

Best, Fred

--------

Fred O.

happyhooker

Thanks, Fred.  I think you know how reassuring it is to us DAM Q users that you've got our back in case something goes south with a reel.

Frank

PacRat

Here's the early click wheel. Pardon the filth.