Squidder LS Bearing Cup 40-140 Problem and Potential Suggestion(s)

Started by Squidder Bidder, April 27, 2022, 11:43:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Squidder Bidder

I have a few Squidder projects on deck. With full knowledge supplied by Mysticparts of the problem with the new old stock part no. 40-140 Left Side Bearing/Bearing cups (i.e., the tooling was worn when these parts were machined, so they're out of original tolerance and very tight to impossible to seat in the female threads of the Squidder sideplates) I ordered a few.

As expected, they won't seat very far into the female threads of the sideplates, and not enough to provide the requisite tension on the spool.

I tried screwing them in a few times from the inside of the sideplates without luck.

My thought at this point as to a solution is to pull the bearings out of the cups, coat the male threads of the cups and female threads of the sideplates with lapping compound (I have a tub of fine 800 grit compound from home gunsmithing projects), and work the threads back and forth to mate the parts better. I understand that lapping compound and lubrication are opposites, so I would absolutely deep clean the bearing cups to remove all lapping compound after (assuming it works).

Does this appear to be something that might work to you old heads out there? Do you have any more efficient or better workarounds? I'm sure Sal would have had some good suggestions. Any comments/suggestions/comments calling me an idiot are welcome.  :d

thorhammer

Well, thats as close you might come to a tap that recut the cup, so I'd say let us know how it goes. If it soesn't work, perrhaps a member has an old bearing cup from a Cortez Conversion ( I might, for that matter).

John

Brewcrafter

Just throwing this out there - if you have a spare bearing cup (because it won't be good for anything after this, even if it works?) try making cuts or slices with a dremel or similar around the bearing cup perpendicular to the threads, but do NOT slice all the way through the wall of the bearing cup - just though the threads up the length of the cup.  Thus somewhat turning the bearing cup into a "tap" of sort that has areas for removed material to accumulate as the threads hopefully shave out the plate.  Much starting, backing up, and threading in along with cleaning out and general patience will probably be required.  I say do not cut all the way through the bearing cup because it then may be prone to collapsing instead of expanding the hole in the sideplate.  Just an idea? - john

Wompus Cat

Quote from: thorhammer on April 28, 2022, 12:28:43 AMWell, thats as close you might come to a tap that recut the cup, so I'd say let us know how it goes. If it soesn't work, perrhaps a member has an old bearing cup from a Cortez Conversion ( I might, for that matter).

John

Great fix IF the side plate threading was fubarred but as I read it the NEW Bearing Cup is Fubarred soooooooooooo he could use that process on the NEW Cup to make it work however it could make the Side plate useless for a proper fitting cup in future .
They make Thread Files that might help re-thread the cup to fit properly .
You could use Vise grips with some tape or  cloth around the cap to make it thread on in BUT again you may fix it where a Good part won't work in future .
Grinding compound ain't gonna do ya any good in my opinion .Best would be to find a good used bearing cup that is machined properly

If your threads look like this then a 3 year old dyslexic kid was running the thread machine
If a Grass Hopper Carried a Shotgun then the Birds wouldn't MESS with Him

Squidder Bidder

Do the "Newell Cups" for sale on Tom's website fit in terms of diameter and thread pitch, or are you referring to something different which comes with the Squidder sideplate kits?

Swami805

Don't think the Newell ones do but he made some with a curled end that might. I have a few different ones I'll try when I get home
Do what you can with that you have where you are

Swami805

I checked and the squidder bearing cups are much bigger than Newell ones. Maybe the cups he uses for the squidder kits?
Do what you can with that you have where you are

mhc

Does anyone know the thread size on these cups? I quickly put the callipers on one and came up with 5/8" x 32 tpi but I wouldn't trust that. If we can confirm the thread, a cheap tap and die would be good enough to chase the threads on both the cup and side plate to get them functional. If you have few to do it might be worthwhile.

https://www.amazon.com/Machine-Thread-Round-Right-Taper/dp/B07Y1PMRNK 

Mike
It can't be too difficult - a lot of people do it.

Squidder Bidder

Thanks for the suggestion, mhc. The issue is evidently with the worn tooling which produced the new old stock cups only (the particular sideplate I would be using are used/vintage) so I wouldn't need to tap the sideplate (which is in spec based upon my testing with a used 40-140 bearing cup from another Squidder), only chase or thread the outside of the cup.

If someone with info could confirm the outer diameter of the cup and thread pitch I think the die could work.

Wompus Cat

Quote from: Squidder Bidder on April 29, 2022, 05:35:46 PMThanks for the suggestion, mhc. The issue is evidently with the worn tooling which produced the new old stock cups only (the particular sideplate I would be using are used/vintage) so I wouldn't need to tap the sideplate (which is in spec based upon my testing with a used 40-140 bearing cup from another Squidder), only chase or thread the outside of the cup.

If someone with info could confirm the outer diameter of the cup and thread pitch I think the die could work.

Thread pitch is .75 MM
outer Dia is 14.5
Buy one of These and you can fix it . Everyone that repairs or builds anything NEEDS THESE
THREAD FILE CLICK HERE

Or send me the Cap and I will make it work N/C
If a Grass Hopper Carried a Shotgun then the Birds wouldn't MESS with Him