Two 200's

Started by joesquid, May 24, 2021, 01:07:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

joesquid

So I picked up a couple 200's. I noticed one is about 1/4 wider than the other.  The thinner one is no numbers but the stand says 250 Yrs No 9.  What does the No 9 mean?  What do y'all think? 

oc1

That's an old one.  Number 9 is the line size.  It would refer to twisted Irish linen line that has nine threads.  Each thread provides about three pounds of strength, so it would be equivalent to about 27 pound test.  That is wet strength.  The linen line diameter would be larger than 27 pound test monofilament or braided nylon (AKA surf squidding line).  It would be a lot more than 27 pound Spectra braid.  Just guessing, it may be as thick as 80 or 100 pound test Spectra.

A Surfmaster historian will be  along directly.

joesquid

Interesting!  Thanks for the information.  Any idea why one is wider than the other?  Is that common with older reels?

Maxed Out

The one on the right is pre war era. Stamping yardage and line size on the seat was phased out in 1939/40
We Must Never Forget Our Veterans....God Bless Them All !!

Surfrat

The Surfmaster on the right with the black plastic spool is a Penn Surfmaster 250 not a 200. :P

foakes

Couple of old soldiers —- great reels!

The Surf-Masters were made in (4) sizes of widths for lesser or larger line capacities.  From the narrow 100 to the wide 250.

100, 150, 200, 250.

Quick take-aparts for spool changeouts, adding grease, and flushing wind blown sand.

Bushings instead of ball bearings.

Perfect for surf casting.

These came out and were cousins to the Squidder.

The Squidder was very expensive in its day.  The SurfMaster allowed the average guy to fish without the expense of a Squidder.

Wages were much less in those days.  Imagine today, spending close to a weeks salary on a fishing reel.

Penn was smart in their marketing.

Best, Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

Catching Nemo

wait a minute...I'm confused here...

Mystic Parts lists the reel seat as 30-200 and the posts as 37-155, for both the surfmaster 200 and 250.  Meaning that the 200 and 250 are the same widths.

Given that there is a 1/4 difference in widths in the reels shown in the pic, is it possible that the shorter one is a surfmaster 150 but has a surfmaster 200 badge (name plate)?

Jenx

If I remember correctly the side plates on a Surfmaster 200 were smaller in diameter than the 250. I think the 200 was squidder sized and the 250 was jigmaster size. I've never seen a 150 before.

A quick Google search led to this old post by Sal in regards to the different Surfmaster spool widths:

"Surfmaster (100 ) ...1 11/16
Surfmastef (150 ) ...2 1/8
Surfmaster (200 ) ... 2 7/16
Dimensions are ring to ring from the inside, not spool length."

Keta

Quote from: Catching Nemo on May 09, 2022, 04:03:29 AMwait a minute...I'm confused here...

Mystic Parts lists the reel seat as 30-200 and the posts as 37-155, for both the surfmaster 200 and 250.  Meaning that the 200 and 250 are the same widths.

Given that there is a 1/4 difference in widths in the reels shown in the pic, is it possible that the shorter one is a surfmaster 150 but has a surfmaster 200 badge (name plate)?

Quote from: Jenx on May 09, 2022, 03:36:37 PMI've never seen a 150 before.

The Surfmaster 150 is a 99 width 100/200 and 1/2 way between the 2 in width.  If my memory is right it does not have the quick change spool like the 200/99/500 reels, I need to dig our my Surfmaster 250 and look at it.

Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

Catching Nemo

OK, I guess I am not sure what the original poster meant, when he said "one is about 1/4 wider than the other".

Is he talking about horizontal width (i.e., distance between the two side plates), or did he mean "diameter" of the spool?

To the best of my knowledge, the 100, 150, and 200 all had the same spool diameter, but varied in distance between the two side plates.

The 200 and 250 had the same distance between the two side plates, but the 250 had a larger diameter spool.

El Pescador

Quote from: Jenx on May 09, 2022, 03:36:37 PM...I've never seen a 150 before.

Jenx!

Here on the Westcoast of the USofA, the Surfmaster 150 is a popular REEL, check out the post Mo65 did on my Surfmaster 150 - he made it REEL pretty!!!!

https://alantani.com/index.php?topic=34301.0

Wayne
Never let the skinny guys make the sandwiches!!  NEVER!!!!

Jenx

Quote from: El Pescador on May 09, 2022, 09:52:52 PM
Quote from: Jenx on May 09, 2022, 03:36:37 PM...I've never seen a 150 before.

Jenx!

Here on the Westcoast of the USofA, the Surfmaster 150 is a popular REEL, check out the post Mo65 did on my Surfmaster 150 - he made it REEL pretty!!!!

https://alantani.com/index.php?topic=34301.0

Wayne

Thanks for the link, Wayne. That brings back memories.

I don't know how long ago I found this place, as I was lurker for awhile before I joined, but it was an old Surfmaster 100 I found in my father's collection that eventually led me to these forums.

I pretty much did all the same mods to that 100 that you and Mo did to that 150, except mine was blacked out. That reel ended up just becoming a shelf queen, and a couple of years ago I sold it to someone on Bloodydecks. The guy was ecstatic to receive it, and was planning on putting it to good use, so I'm happy it found a good home.

Anyways, Thanks Keta and Wayne for the info on the 150.

Cheers.