Bushkill, PA Bushkill Creek May/June 2021

Started by ChileRelleno, May 24, 2021, 01:02:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

oc1

Paddlefish and cobia can both be produced in captivity and stocked.  You can have as many as you want if you are willing to pay the price.

Tommy, are they putting paddlefish somewhere outside the Mississippi drainage?

oc1

Quote from: philaroman on May 25, 2021, 02:23:51 AM
you know, old high-tops w/ AstroTurf epoxied to soles work almost as well as felt
(esp., wet-wading)...  wear out sooner / cost LE$$ / might befuddle a warden
;D ;D ;D  red Chucks, white laces, green soles --Christmas Shoes  ;D ;D ;D

EDIT: well, NOT Chucks -- cardboard soles  :(

Uh-oh there are zebra mussels in my AstroTurf.  The felt sole thing might be taking it too far.  Do different bodies of water have different bacteria?  It is impossible to catalog all the bacteria in any ecosystem so how would they know?

Midway Tommy

Quote from: oc1 on May 25, 2021, 06:17:26 AM
Paddlefish and cobia can both be produced in captivity and stocked.  You can have as many as you want if you are willing to pay the price.

Tommy, are they putting paddlefish somewhere outside the Mississippi drainage?

Technically, no.

They've stocked them in an irrigation canal system (AKA the Tri-County Canal) that parallels, and is also part of, the N&S Platte River system. It starts @ Kingsley Dam (Lake McConaughy) in western NE and currently ends about 125 miles east dumping into the Platte River, which empties into the Missouri, that dumps into the Mississippi.   

Enough of this stuff, though. This is Chile's vacation thread.
Love those open face spinning reels! (Especially ABU & ABU/Zebco Cardinals)

Tommy D (ORCA), NE

Favorite Activity? ............... In our boat fishing
RELAXING w/ MY BEST FRIEND (My wife Bonnie)

ChileRelleno

DAY 2

Another tough day for catching trout, the water level in the creek is low and crystal clear.
Trout are short striking and aborting their strikes, you can watch them turn away last second.
A few Smallies and panfish here and there, they hit lures well but mouth a dry fly and spit it quick.
I caught a legal but small Rainbow and released him, end of the day I was wishing I'd kept him.

We even tried some live baits without much luck... Them fish aren't stupid and they're wary.

Nate was still batting zero until dusk, then he finally got the skunk off.
He was sight fishing rising trout and connected with a nice Brownie, Elk Hair Caddis-Tan in it's face did the trick.
Sorry no pic.
Ragnar Benson:
"Never, under any circumstances, ever become a refugee.
Die if you must, but die on your home turf with your face to the wind, not in some stinking hellhole 2,000 kilometers away, among people you neither know nor care about."

ChileRelleno

DAY 3

I got up early and left Nate snoozing, probably shouldn't be out without a fishing partner since bears and injuries happen, but he's 15 and getting ornery.
Let sleeping dogs lay and whatnot, he's growing fast and needs his sleep.

Morning, zero trout and two new holes in my waders.
Breakfast.
Shopping for new waders with no luck locally, screw it they're pinprick holes from briars and not real bad... Wet left foot and buttock for the rest of the trip.
Lunch at a hole-n-the-wall Lebanese cafe/grocery, came highly recommended and ... OMG'osh was it good!
Naps for everybody!
Cook dinner and go fishing to no avail.

Talking to people at the local sporting goods stores just proved what I already knew, low water levels makes for higher water temps and less activity and crystal clear clarity makes them much warier/cautious.  All the locals say this season sucks, but everyone is keeping at them, makes the few that ya catch more rewarding.

G'night folks.
Ragnar Benson:
Die if you must, but die on your home turf with your face to the wind, not in some stinking hellhole 2,000 kilometers away, among people you neither know nor care about."

Benni3

Have you tried salted corn,,,,, ;) put about 15 on the hook and up the line,,,,,,,,, ;D

philaroman

does anybody still sell live hellgrammites?
flip some streamside rocks for local crawly/wiggly things, small craws, F/W mollusks, etc.
stop for roadkill...  find meat-fed maggots  ;D

what's "got up early"?  when it's this tough, you should be on the bank contemplating where to cast,
when it's still grey out -- BEFORE the sun peaks over horizon...  then, maybe, only 30-45 min. active

Midway Tommy

Quote from: philaroman on May 27, 2021, 02:32:17 AM
flip some streamside rocks for local crawly/wiggly things, small craws, F/W mollusks, etc.

what's "got up early"?  when it's this tough, you should be on the bank contemplating where to cast,
when it's still grey out -- BEFORE the sun peaks over horizon...  then, maybe, only 30-45 min. active

Holy Moly, Phil! You're sounding awful darn serious about this relaxation outing.  :o   ;D ;D
Love those open face spinning reels! (Especially ABU & ABU/Zebco Cardinals)

Tommy D (ORCA), NE

Favorite Activity? ............... In our boat fishing
RELAXING w/ MY BEST FRIEND (My wife Bonnie)

philaroman

that's just me, I guess
if I know they're there, their (like that?) job is to EAT!!!
and my job is to make 'em -- who can relax, if they don't cooperate?

ChileRelleno

Yes. early as in morning mist in the predawn light.
Ragnar Benson:

ChileRelleno

Quote from: Benni3 on May 27, 2021, 01:50:55 AM
Have you tried salted corn,,,,, ;) but about 15 on the hook and up the line,,,,,,,,, ;D
No, no salted corn yet.
But last night at dusk I was throwing a Caddis dry fly on my spinner with a float.
Nate got his Brownie and I got more damned panfish.

One thing I'm trying to catch too is more Sea Lamprey.
Seen a few of them but not able to net one yet.
Man them things are tasty.
Ragnar Benson:

ChileRelleno

Quote from: Midway Tommy on May 27, 2021, 02:43:39 AM

Holy Moly, Phil! You're sounding awful darn serious about this relaxation outing.  :o   ;D ;D
Sheesh, plenty of time for naps in the afternoon.
Naps beat standing out in the sun sweating.
Ragnar Benson:

Benni3

thorhammer

Wow....I left this AM on my first trip out of NC on business since March 2020, and I just mapped where Chili is...only 62 miles due West of me, lol.

Good fishing brother! The Pocono's are gorgeous...I've made the drive from Newark to Scranton many times through them.

Shark Hunter

Good report John.
Don't know how I missed it.
Pretty Sure I know where Nate gets that Ornery. ;D
Life is Good!