Penn Squall 15

Started by Marlinmate, June 11, 2021, 12:07:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Marlinmate

Reel had been drug through the sand.  Now it's all cleaned up.  Issue is.....when i tighten the drag down...the gears begin to grind in a certain spot when reeling in line....but only when the drag is tightened down.

Thoughts?

FISHING IS THE SPORT OF DROWNING WORMS

Donnyboat

Make sure your bearing are in good order, & right in the position, as they should be, good luck cheers Don.
Don, or donnyboat

Marlinmate

I've checked and double checked. I have no clue on this one.

Others I've shown....are stumped as well

Wompus Cat

When you put a load on a bearing or gear that is when it makes noise .
IF somehow sand got in the bearings they need to be replaced in any scenario whether it be a Roller Skate or a Jet Engine. just my  Zwei Pfennig.
If a Grass Hopper Carried a Shotgun then the Birds wouldn't MESS with Him

Marlinmate

I wish I could post a video. Sent it to Alan Tani last night.

It's not sand in the bearings....it's something rubbing something and causing the pinion/yoke to be in a bind

Marlinmate

Wompus Cat

As I have Never seen one of those apart I can only GUESS that something is shimmed wrong or there is no end play or not enough . Does it Free Spool  Properly ?
Like I mentioned when you load a Gear ,bushing, or Bearing the worst comes out.

Marlinmate

it free spools great!.  it also does it when the spool is out of the housing. 

Wompus Cat

If it is assembled right and you prob have done this before then some of the things I see that would be affected when tightening the drag is the # 55 bearing in this pic and or the 98C .
If the bearing is Loaded or has Pressure against it then it may cause the problem you are experiencing .
Ruling out warpage of the housing or side-plates ,loose screw /screws  or a bent shaft where you might loosen slightly all the outside screws and see if it helps . Other than that I would think your problem may be in the gears assembly.
Hope you get it figured out .