Penn 49

Started by sharkman, May 25, 2021, 01:39:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

sharkman

Does anyone know the retrieval rate on Penn 49.

Crow

There's nothing wrong with a few "F's" on your record....Food, Fun, Flowers, Fishing, Friends, and Fun....to name just a few !

Cor

That's the gear ratio, the size of the spool has a big influence on retrieval rate.
At a guess I would say its about 32 inches per handle turn with a full spool.

The last time I used one was probably 1990.
Cornelis

sharkman

Thanks for replies. Couldn't find anything other than gear ratio.

philaroman

measure one wrap around full spool, multiply by 3.5

Cor

Quote from: philaroman on May 25, 2021, 08:14:25 PM
Now why have I never thought of that, I do it the dumb way by turning the handle one full turn and measuring the line it has retrieved.
Cornelis

UKChris1

Or, spool diameter times Pi (=3.14159265359 etc. or 22/7 is close enough) and times gear ration gives a good estimate and allows you to determine retrieve at different fill levels without doing all the winding.

philaroman

Quote from: UKChris1 on May 26, 2021, 09:46:56 AM
Or, spool diameter times Pi (=3.14159265359 etc. or 22/7 is close enough) and times gear ration gives a good estimate and allows you to determine retrieve at different fill levels without doing all the winding.

how does that work for different fill levels ???
only works for spool filled to brim, which it never is

Quote from: Cor on May 26, 2021, 05:13:32 AM
Quote from: philaroman on May 25, 2021, 08:14:25 PM
Now why have I never thought of that, I do it the dumb way by turning the handle one full turn and measuring the line it has retrieved.

I have a really short ruler?  :(

UKChris1

Good question, philaroman.

By diameter I meant the diameter of the line fill on the spool rather than the manufacturer's quoted spool diameter. Thus, if you only fill a 6" spool to 4" you use the 4" as the diameter. Hope that makes it clearer to everyone and I should have explained that first time.

Oh, and sorry it should be 'ratio' not 'ration'  : :D